Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My explorer.exe is not working correctly

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 spazinvader

spazinvader

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:53 AM

Hi all,

About a week before, my system was working just fine. I got my internet connection and tried to play youtube videos in Internet Explorer. But i received a message that my flash player may be out of date or my internet settings are preventing my playback.
At first i tried installing flash player. But i couldn't. I tried to download youtube videos through youtube downloader. But it said that "my internet settings are preventing me from downloading the videos".
So i googled for security settings and as per one discussion given full control settings for my account. Then after the restart, my PC has slowed down dramatically and still my IE 8 can't play youtube videos.

So i have undone everything i done to make my system faster. But nothing made it work like it was before. My PC configuration is:
Dual Core Processor
1 GB DDR 2 RAM
160 GB hard disk(with 12 GB for my windows drive and remaining all to only one drive)
Internet Explorer 8(however youtube is playing in firefox and google chrome)
Norton Security Suite
Super Anti spyware
Windows defender
Version of my system: Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

I have ran a full system check with my updated norton and it just detected some tracking cookies and it doesn't helped the situation. I ran the online scanner by kaspersky and it also picked nothing. Not even a single suspicious file.

Same with my Super Anti spyware and windows defender.

My system would almost seem perfect until the user boot screen. When i enter my password and enter into my user profile it would take 5 to 10 mins for my taskbar and system tray to appear. It would take at least one minute, if i open my computer. But no error messages, no sign of anything wrong happening.

I have given high priority to explorer.exe in the running processes tab in task manager. Only then i could possibly work with my system. Only task manager is working perfectly and it could launch applications pretty sooner like my system before a week.

Side effects that are happening in my system:
1) Youtube not playing in Internet explorer
2) My network settings are not being detected. Even if i switch off my router, no message that local area connection is disconnected
3) I could connect to internet only through Internet Explorer. If i open a web site, i automatically get my connect to menu and i could connect to internet through that.
4) If my explorer.exe is kept as normal in task manager then i can forget even clicking start button through mouse click. It would take just only one minute for the start menu to appear :thumbsup:

Any suggestions friends?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:41 AM

Before installing the new version of Flash, you have to uninstall the old version using the uninstall tool at this link.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 01:38 PM

<<So i googled for security settings and as per one discussion given full control settings for my account.>>

I have no idea what you mean...exactly what did you do?

Funny, I just visited the youtube.com site and downloaded a couple of songs.

<<I tried to download youtube videos through youtube downloader.>>

Are you referring to E.M. Youtube Downloader?

Louis

#4 spazinvader

spazinvader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 02:45 PM

Hi all,

thanks for the reply.

But my main concern is that my system became much slower and explorer.exe is not working properly.

@frankp316

Yes buddy. I do uninstalled flash player and re installed it for atleast 10 times. Still it is not working. Any other suggestions pls?

@hamluis

I am referring to this youtube downloader.
http://youtubedownload.altervista.org/

Pls help me out on my explorer.exe problem. Because i have left my mother board cd in my home town and i need to use my system for this full week. Since no mother board cd with me, formatting my pc is out of option. :thumbsup:

Do i have to post my Hijack this file in this forum?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 03:21 PM

If you want to post a HJT log, please do so in the appropriate forum...the one listed as devoted to HJT/malware situations.

This is not that forum and posting it here will just result in a waste of time while someone tries to get it moved to the proper forum.

As for your system slowness, etc...seems to me that there's a good chance that...whatever it was that you did...the result was a lowered security posture for the system and you may have a malware situation. Since you've elected not to tell us exactly what you did...that's just a wild guess on my part.

Louis

#6 spazinvader

spazinvader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:21 AM

@hamluis

Actually i have forgotten the thing i have done to make youtube work buddy.
All i remember is that i went into a security page through run command. There i found that there has been columns of user names such as backup operators, administrators and a third one.

There i have added my user name(THIRU\bharath where THIRU is my computer name and bharath is my user name), then edited it and given "full control" for my user name too.

Since i do remember only vaguely, i couldn't tell you correctly. Ever since i have posteed my query here, i still am searching for the page where i have seen that info and it is fruitless until now.

And now, i couldn't connect to internet from my PC. I am using my friend's PC to come here.

Do you have any suggestions for me pal?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users