Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GeForce GTX 260 vs. 2 GeForce 9800 GTX+?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jeremiahsweeney

jeremiahsweeney

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:49 AM

Wondering which would be better? Having 1 GeForce GTX 260 or 2 GeForce 9800 GTX+? What are the pros and cons of each set up? Thanks in advance!

Edited by jeremiahsweeney, 06 September 2009 - 12:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 06 September 2009 - 05:54 PM

your Geforce 9000 series is basically just your 8000 series just updated, your 9800 is basically your 8800 with a few more tweaks. the 260 is a newer, better architecture, however, and probably the better single card. In all reality, what I would do if I had the SLI motherboard (im a crossfire/ATI fan myself but if I was) I would purchase the GTX 260. I would still have room to add another later. Its a newer card, and the 2 9800s would give you slightly better performance in some areas, especially games like crysis which is designed to dual video cards, but with most software these days, like movie watching or even most games, a single 260 will handle just fine, in fact with some applications, work better then dual video cards. Dual video cards really only boost your gaming performance if the game is designed to work with dual cards, otherwise they can actually be a hinderance because they take away some of the CPU power. But, personally, the 260 is a better card, newer technology, I would buy that for now, and then if you decide that its not enough power you can add another 260 later on. It would probably be cheaper this way to, because if you bought 2 9800s, and decided they wernt powerful enough then youd have to buy 2 260s on top of the 2 9800s you already bought. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Champer

Champer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:51 PM

I would get the GTX 260. That way, if you find you don't get the performance you want, you only need to buy one more card instead of two when you feel like upgrading down the line.

#4 jeremiahsweeney

jeremiahsweeney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 03:22 PM

Thanks alot for the replies! :D

#5 pclimer

pclimer

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:34 PM

I have an Evga GTX 260 and I love it.
It was a good upgrade from the 8800 GTS, and it also doesn't have a problem with higher operating temps.

The GTX 260 would also be more stable than 2 x 9800 GTX's, Nvidia's drivers are iffy when it comes to SLI.

Also if you are about to buy a new card, I would hold off for a tad if you possibly can.
The new GeForce 300 series cards are just around the corner, which means huge price drops on the 200 series :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users