Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SVCHOST.EXE EATS UP MY CPU

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mayank240

mayank240

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:59 AM

Hi all,I am using Dell latitude XP,When i start my pc,svchost.exe-network services uses 100% cpu,if i terminate this process,my pc becomes super speedy.Googled a lot and found lot of persons affected by this,but no solution in any of the forums.This is a genuine process and should not start during pc startup.Problem occured only after i installed hp hosts.Its kernel32.dll under this process which eats up.Scanned for viruses with each and every s/w.Does anyone knows any solution for it.Someone solved it by making some changes in hosts file.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:26 AM

<<...and should not start during pc startup.>>

Where did you get that idea?

How do you know what processes are running under the svchost label in XP?

How to determine what services are running under a SVCHOST.EXE process - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/list-services-running-under-svchost.exe-process/

Louis

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:53 AM

I use Comodo Firewall on my Windows XP Home Edition SP3 pc and have the firewall rule in regard to both svchost.exe and system.exe set as outgoing only. In my Task Manager I have several entries of svchost but it doesn't use too much of my resources as can be seen below.

Posted Image
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 mayank240

mayank240
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:12 AM

Hi BluesJunior.Thanks for taking out time for me.I had downloaded comodo a few days before and it seems to be very useful,but searching in comodo forum is like walking through a jungle,can u please tell me how to do this in simple steps.
Also i am posting process explorer log as an attachment.

Attached Files

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:12 AM

Hi Mayank240,
I am afraid that my PC knowledge doesn't run that far. I was just trying to show that the way I had svchost set up in Comodo made it less of a resource hog. I find the Comodo Forums very useful. If you are a new user to Comodo then in the Comodo CIS Forum have a look at the advice and the tutorial by Kyle in the Guides forum.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#6 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:19 AM

Hello.

Let's see if we can identify what service this is. We may be able to disable it.

Please open Process Explorer.
Select the Svchost process that is using the high CPU.
Right click it and select Properties, then the Services tab.
Under Services Registered in Process, you will find the Service and Display name.
Please take note of what these are and include it in your next reply.

With Regards,
The Panda

#7 mayank240

mayank240
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 12:55 PM

Hi,I identified kernel32.dll (SVCHOST.EXE-Network services) that eats 99% cpu.It seems to be genuine file still i wanted to delete it, but couldn't.(Thanks to Microsoft,its protected from me).
svchost.exe 920 (87.69%)Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe -k NetworkService

#8 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 06 September 2009 - 04:36 PM

You said:

Problem occured only after i installed hp hosts

I don't know what hp hosts means, but as soon as I saw that I got supsicious!

I have heard that some HP printer driver/software installations install too much stuff and in particular something that will show up in your Services similar to:

Pml Driver HPZ12 or Net Driver HPZ12

I have an HP printer, but no I don't load anything I don't need. The HPZ12 is a "valid" service, but since you indicate this just started after hp hosts installation, check your Service for anything like Driver HPZ12, stop the service and see how things work.

Here is the BC description: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/p...pz12-11912.html

If you don't need it, don't load it. If you need it maybe there is a way to load it without it being such a hog.

To see your Services, click Start, Run and in the box enter:

services.msc

Click OK, hunt for HP stuff, stop the service with the square black button at the top.

It is probably the Net Driver HPZ12. Stop it, Disable it, reboot, test, etc.

Figure out what it is, then decide what to do about it.

Where is the "butting in" emoticon...

Edited by joseibarra, 06 September 2009 - 04:39 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#9 mayank240

mayank240
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:15 AM

Hi,Thanks a lot for your reply.HP Hosts is a programme that blocks all ads by making hosts file in c\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC.After this problem i immediately uninstalled this and delted the hosts file made by it in this location.In services.msc, i see only one HP prg that too is disabled.Along with installing hphosts i also had installed ccleaner and did the registry optimizer.i don't have any registry backup.Can this be a registry problem.Now it is blocked by comodo firewall but after every start up i have to terminate this process.

#10 mayank240

mayank240
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:59 AM

Hi all,Thanks for the response of all.I solved this problem by disabling the DNS client service and deleting the hosts file made by HP hosts.Instead i have downloaded MVPS hosts.Now the svchost does not shoots up.It blocks all the adds.
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users