Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

... Should I be worried?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Azumizai

Azumizai

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 06 September 2009 - 04:03 AM

Lately, I've noticed on many sites that I frequent, that there is a popup that appears that is something like (and this is just a close approximation, not a word for word), of it saying something like :

"Warning! Your computer may be infected! Please click here to do a computer scan!"

Now, I am a very smart girl, and I don't ever EVER click them. (Not even the 'x' I force it to shut down) But I happened to be using Lightwave at the same time as clicking through the internet, and accidently clicked on that popup! Thinking (in my tired stupor) that it might actually have been a popup from Lightwave.

I got so freaked out by it, I instantly turned off my machine. It looked like it had 'loaded' something (within a space of a few seconds, and only a partial 'load' I beleive this is just a fake, and a graphic to LOOK like it had 'scanned') and then had another popup that I didn't really read because I was afraid of it doing anything further. I THINK it was asking me to install their antivirus software. I think. (Though don't count me on it)

Anyway. Long story short... I accidently clicked it. I freaked out. Turned off the machine.

I started it in safemode, did a partial scan of my computer (With a free version I have installed of the lastest AVG), till it went through the important Windows files. It didn't come up with anything.

But I have seen this virus before, and it can be very crippling to a machine, and this machine of mine is very important to getting my work done, so I can't have it go out of service for any length of time.

Should I be worried? Or did I kill the sucker before it had a chance?

Edit: I just downloaded and installed Malwarebytes, as recommended by a friend of mind a while back. I did a quick scan, and it did not come up with anything. But I still am a little worried that I could still be infected with something malicious. I know that some of these things can be rather vicious and really dig in deep.

Edited by Azumizai, 06 September 2009 - 04:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users