Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Freezes on Right-Clicking My Computer icon

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AlanCB

AlanCB

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 06 September 2009 - 02:30 AM

My Satellite Pro M70-220 laptop is running on Win XP Pro SP3, fully updated.

When I right-click on the "My Computer" icon on the Desktop, the arrow-head pointer changes to an "hourglass pointer", and everything on the screen becomes unresponsive i.e basically the screen feezes. When I click on the "turnoff" option in the "shutdown" drop-down list of Windows Task Manager, an "End Now" box pops-up, and indicates that Windows Explorer (Explorer.exe) is being shutdown, and to click on the "End Now" button to end the program immediately, but warning that any unsaved data will be lost (or something to that effect). The computer shutsdown, and after I reboot the problem may or may not occur again.

There does not seem be a problem when I use Windows Explorer to select, explore and navigate the hard drive's 4 partions to acces folders and files. Its only seems to occur when I right-click on the "My Computer" icon on the desktop.

Would appreciate if anyone could advise why this is happening and on how to resolve it.

Thank you

AlanCB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 06 September 2009 - 12:22 PM

I'm no expert.

I am assuming XP Pro is little different from XP Home for problem solving.

Had the same problem on Windows XP Home SP3 last week, then it went to BSOD.

Reboot gave a message indicating a missing or corrupted CONFIG file.

Running chkdsk /r from the recovery console found and fixed errors and
allowed access to safe mode, enabling me to use system restore.
Working happily ever since.

Unless you've already tried the most obvious methods, perhaps chkdsk could help.

#3 AlanCB

AlanCB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:07 PM

Thank you very much for your reply & info.

No further problems experienced with My Computer right-click/windows explorer since I posted (nearly 3days), and the only change I had made was to change the page file setting from "custom size" to "Let System Manage Page File". I'm running Diskeeper with Auto/Online defrag and directory consolidation switched on.

I had actually carried out a chkdsk from within WinXP Pro 2days prior to the problem.

Anyway I will bear in mind your expreince/advice.

AlanCB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users