Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

shrink partition limit

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rdangelojp7

rdangelojp7

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:50 PM

Hello all, I'm Ricardo. I recently bought a toshiba satellite with windows vista and would like to shrink the first (and for now only) partition from 230gb to about 60gb so I can make two other partitions, one for mass file storage and another for ubuntu linux OS. When I try to shrink the partition with Disk Management or diskpart, it won't let me shrink any less than about 150gb (it just occured to me, is it possible to shrink the volume with diskpart down to 60gb and reinstall vista on it?).
Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, does anybody know why vista takes so much disk space? On my old toshiba laptop with XP and 30gb disk, I never used more than about 60% of it with programs like Solidworks, videolan, autocad, etc...

Thanks again

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 06 September 2009 - 01:37 AM

Hi,
I disabled system restore on my vista, that allowed me to shrink a larger amount, then re-activated system restore. No idea why vista so greedy!!
Deleted my 20gb Dell restore partition ( as I have the 3 restore discs & tested ) and installed Linux Mint and Crunchbang Linux there giving them 10gb each. The tri-boot seems to be working OK!!

#3 rdangelojp7

rdangelojp7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 06 September 2009 - 02:13 AM

Hey, thanks for the reply. I'll look into system restore a little more

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users