Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PepiMK'SCoolWWWSearch.SmartKiller

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 10 September 2004 - 11:52 AM

Does anyone have any knowledge of this removal tool? PepiMk'sCoolWWWSearch.Smartkiller

Edited by scarlett, 10 September 2004 - 11:53 AM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Fuelm@n

Fuelm@n

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2004 - 01:00 PM

I've never used it, but here's some info if you don't know it yet...
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/miniremovalcw.html
BleepingComputer Posted Image

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 10 September 2004 - 01:58 PM

I haven't tried it yet, Scarlett, but I don't mind saying it is made the the folks who brought you Spybot S&D and in my mind's eye they're super. Patrick Kolla's tools work so very well and have such a dedicated support group that helps in the fight against the black hats that I will be downloading it soon. I have to discipline myself, though. I can put a hundred applications on my machine as it stands right now in under an hour. Lots of GB's of data & mp3's also...but I want to monitor the system closer to learn at this time, before I go hawggwild again.

I wouldn't worry at all about using it :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2004 - 02:08 PM

Thanks Guys for your quick replies. :thumbsup: And phawgg there is a new member (skellington) who is having a prob. with CoolWeb Search. I think this tool is what he needs. Since he is having trouble running Hijack This and CW Shredder. Here is a link to the info. Pay close attention to the...NOTE: (in red) at the bottom of the Product description.............Click Here............Please,if you have the time let me know what you think.

Edited by scarlett, 10 September 2004 - 02:24 PM.

Posted Image

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2004 - 03:04 PM

This program seems to be available at many more or lest trustful sites. Apparently it will search your HD and remove it if it is found.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 10 September 2004 - 05:16 PM

Scarlett, The note you mention I think is this:
NOTE: There is a variant of the Coolwebsearch trojan spreading that closes several anti-spyware apps when you try to open them. If this is happening to you, download PepiMK's CoolWWWSearch.SmartKiller removal tool first and run it.

After it does its job, CWShredder and HijackThis will run properly (as well Spybot S&D, Ad-aware and several anti-spyware forums).

I would tend to believe that by inferance the PepiMK's product is going to do the job, and the CWShredder 1.59.1 continues "the job" (but it is not by design going to deal with that "new variant"). Perhaps there are things the CWShredder does beyond those that the PepiMK's does not, also. We talkin' about a couple automated tools, so to speak. The complete job I'm just learning requires that other techniques also are used. So, IMHO using these tools probably will help significantly in the case of these type problems. Furthor checking is also implied by the use of HijackThis (and the others we employ here) because the user can make mistakes and really should consult people who have a better grasp of the overall picture.

Bottomline is, use it...if the problem is solved "completely" or to "satisfaction" good. If it in any way comes back, then we need to see the log with the problem occuring to accurately help.

As a trainee, I may stand to be corrected, though. :thumbsup: The site itself, Softpedia, strikes me as one I would exercise care in what I download...it is robust and full of options...not all of which I'd favor, but certainly there are many I do. :flowers:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2004 - 05:39 PM

When I first posted this info, I was not aware that it comes from the maker of SpyBpt S&D. I agree Im not sure about Softopedia eiether. So I went directly to the source. Here is the link. .Click Here...Thank You for the feedback. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 11 September 2004 - 12:35 AM

It is a valid program...its part of our download section, which is not officially open yet:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/Smartkiller.php

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users