Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using Vista to print via wireless network

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:02 PM

Is such a thing possible? I suspect that it is and that I'm just missing something somewhere, a step left out possibly. I am trying to print to an HP inkjet printer attached to my XP machine to print from a laptop on the same wireless network (in home) from a laptop running Vista Home Premium. Both machines have firewalls enabled with exceptions made for File & Printer Sharing. I have changed the properties on the printer to share it out. I even have Zone Alarm running but have also made an allowance for the IP address of the Vista machine. I ran through the add printer process on the Vista machine, using TCP/IP setup to add the printer and found it eventually by using the IP address for my host XP machine. It found the printer, but for some reason it would not print the test page. I also tried to test print some other documents with no success.

I know the printer is working, I have printed to it before and after the setup. I know my network connections are good on both machines, have tested that. I do think it's worth mentioning that I'm using wireless on both machines, not sure if that would be an issue or not but I don't think so.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :thumbsup:
I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:51 PM

Try turning on the guest account, start with the XP machine but you may have to do it on the Vista machine as well. See if that allows the printing.

When you say you went through the add printer, you are talking about installing the drivers right? just making sure

Edited by CaveDweller2, 05 September 2009 - 10:52 PM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Eric RBA

Eric RBA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:05 AM

The drivers are indeed installed on both machines for the printer. The laptop was originally printing to the printer, then it was connected to the desktop, so they both have drivers and software installed. I will turn on the guest accounts on both machines and see how that goes.

#4 Eric RBA

Eric RBA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 12:55 PM

Nope, that didn't do the trick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users