Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 n2fc

n2fc

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:48 PM

Just some personal history and general comments about what I see here...

I joined this site about 5 years ago in order to read about other's experiences with viruses/malware, etc. and learn from them...

I am a computer professional and have been so since 1967... I suspect most readers here were not yet born back then, let alone playing with computers!

I recently had occasion to post a log here while assisting a customer with malware removal when I became temporarily stumped and did not want to waste more time in researching the issue on my own... I can usually figure these things out relatively quickly and most modern tools are quite adept in self-help for the majority of users...

I was dismayed at the lack of a timely response, so continued my investigation (more reading) and eventually found a solution in another post here... I noted that (lately) for new malware requests here, the average response time for initial contact to a request for help is OVER TWO WEEKS! For most people that would be a ridiculous burden! I understand that all the "helpers" here are volunteers, but c'mon... Maybe MORE helpers are needed?

I attempted to "signup" to train/help using the available tools, but found "no slots available"...

When I joined: (member # under 4,000)...
I see more recent numbers nearing 400,000!!

Don't get me wrong! I appreciate the site and the valuable info available here!

But take a practical suggestion from a long-time reader (and hopefully, soon to be helper)...
Responses have to be more timely to be at all useful!

I welcome any feedback from moderators/administrators...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ccss

ccss

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:31 PM

I too am almost as long in the tooth as you and have a background very similar, but can only claim to be using computers since the 1974.
I agree with most of your comments. The problem I think is that helpers are being swamped.

If you had a problem with your car could you get someone to help you fix it for free? If you had a leak in a pipe would you expect a plumber to tell you how to fix it?

We in the computer industry are a very helpful bunch. Those with the knowledge are usually working full time and simply don't have unlimited time to dedicate to helping others.

I think that the problems are going to get worse as more and more devices, software, malware and operating systems become available.

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:13 AM

I think that ccss summed it up quite nicely. Everyone on the site is a volunteer and helps on the site on their free time. Due to this, and the lack of many trained helpers, it is obvious that our helpers can get quickly overwhelmed with the requests for help here at the site. If you want free help you have to be prepared to wait for it. I am sure if you were offering free consulting for your customers you would quickly become swamped.

New and more devious malware are released daily, and analyzing this malware so we can help members like yourself who either can't figure it out or do not want to "waste more time" trying to, takes up even more of our time.

As for recruiting more helpers, this is a long and lengthy process. The training at the various malware removal schools is quite intensive and time consuming. Therefore, many students do not want to stick with it and never graduate. As we pride ourselves on the excellent support we provide, we only allow graduates to help in the the malware removal section in order to protect our users computers from incorrect advice.

So, unfortunately this means that we sacrifice speed of response for quality response, which I think is a good trade-off. Here at BC, everyone always gets an answer, their problem will be resolved, but it may take a bit of time. Also remember we are not a resource for consultants to receive quick answers on how to fix their clients computers and it these people who typically require an immediate response. For consultants who need more knowledge about a particular malware we are always happy to answer general questions in the Am I infected forum.

For those wanting to be a trainee, like our team, the coaches are limited as well. Therefore we can only accept a certain amount at a time. If you feel you are highly qualified and are willing to assist here at the site in your own free time after you graduate, then we would be happy to try and make an exception. Just PM myself or one of the Study Hall Admins to get on the waiting list.

Hope this explains the delays and why they are sometimes unavoidable.

#4 n2fc

n2fc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 12:12 PM

Well said...
As mentioned in my earlier post, it was your fine article that ultimately led me to a solution to the problem I was attempting to solve...

I understand & agree with all you said, and am interested in offering help here to others who might need it...

When (if) you get the time, please place me on the "waiting list" for whatever is necessary to allow me to help others here...

THANKS AGAIN!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users