Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clashing Symantec?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 leavenone

leavenone

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 05:46 PM

Hello,
I had Norton 360 installed on my computer, but when I came to college, it was required that i install symantec endpoint protection. So, i installed it, and now 360 wont start, and Endpoint wont scan or do anything really. I cannot uninstall endpoint because of the uninstall file is not on my computer, i suspect it is only on my college's admin network. Of the two of them though, i would like to keep 360 over endpoint. I also started having a problem with rtvscan.exe once my desktop was loaded. I thought i had disabled all symantec processes from start up (they weren't doing anything, as well as taking up over 1GB of RAM), but endpoint always starts up with the virus protection screwed up. Oddly enough, whenever i try and use endpoint to scan, it says a scan is already being done. But, in it's scan log, it says its never been scanned.

I suspect that they are trying to call the same RAM space, but i'm not sure.

Here's the HiJackThis log:

EDIT: Removed log~not allowed in this forum

Edited by garmanma, 05 September 2009 - 06:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:08 PM

You cannot have 2 AV's running at the same time. Did you uninstall using the removal tool?
http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgen...005033108162039
Read this about removing Endpoint
http://forums.techguy.org/general-security...on-removal.html
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 leavenone

leavenone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 12:43 AM

I uninstalled Norton 360 and downloaded the Norton Uninstall Utility, it extracts to 9%, then disappears. The two processes, SymNRT.exe and Norton_Removal
_Tool.exe, run but don't use any CPU. But, they load into my RAM (in the Task Manager, it shows under the CPU column as 00 for both processes and 8,748K for SymNRT.exe and 6,152K for the Norton_Removal_Tool.exe under the Mem. Usage). Not really sure what this means. I'm thinking that it just takes awhile, so i'm leaving it running in the background, but so far, no dice.

I then tried to fix Endpoint, seeing as that is the one required by my school for me to use (and I literally cannot uninstall/delete it; they password protected the files and the uninstaller is not on my computer), but nothing in it works, really. I tried fixing it (using both the Fix All and clicking details and fixing each one individually), but the antivirus/antispyware won't activate, and even after it says proactive threat protection is fixed, it wont turn on either. Again, i still cannot scan with it.

Also an interesting note: whenever i try and do anything (literally) with Endpoint, i get an error about SymCorpUI.exe: The exception unknown software exception (0x40000015) occured in the application at location 0x6b1a20e8.

Any ideas?

P.s. thanks for the speedy response. I checked both sites, but so far, no real luck. I did not try the Revo Uninstaller, again, because this software is required by my school. I'm planning on trying to get an install CD from some of the IT people to try a reinstall of Endpoint, but i'm not optimistic....

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:23 PM

That would be my recommendation. Since it's required by the school, let their IT Dept. handle it

Edited by garmanma, 07 September 2009 - 06:24 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users