Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast scan

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LindaIHN

LindaIHN

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 05:23 PM

Hi,
I have Windows XP Media Edtion and I've had Avast Anti-Virus for a couple of years probably and I scanned my computer today which generated a list. However, it has never generated a list before so I have no clue what it means. I lists 88 files and my choices are to "delete, repair, move, chest or scan." Can anyone tell me what this means? I've attached (if it's not too big) a screen shot.
Linda
Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge,
But he who hates correction is stupid.
Proverbs 12:1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 05:59 PM

Are you using Spybot Search and Destroy?
The file sbRecovery.ini is used by Spybot S&D. I think the files flagged by avast! as Unable to scan : Archive is password protected belong to Spybot S&D's quarantine.

#3 LindaIHN

LindaIHN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:15 PM

No, I don't have Spybot. So these things are not anything I have to delete or repair? Avast has never done that before -- generated a list. I may have had Spybot at one time, though. I thought they were viruses or something. I actually deleted two of them and now have to see if I can somehow restore them.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:28 PM

They are malware files quarantined by Spybot S&D. I can see wdcaps.ded which belongs to a WildTangent software which is considered as spyware.

But to be sure, you should download Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware and scan your computer with it.

1. Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here : Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
2. Install it and update it.
3. Choose Full Scan and scan your computer.
4. Clean all the items it finds.

Please post the report it shows at the end of the scan

#5 LindaIHN

LindaIHN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:37 PM

I'm sorry, I did have Spybot but I uninstalled it. So my question is, can I ignore this list and close it? I have to close it to restart my computer to get rid of all of Spybot. I already have Malwarbytes so I will run that but I'm going to bed soon. On my laptop, which I use every day, I run Malwarebytes one night and SuperAntiSpyware the next. I'm very good at maintaining my computer. I also clean it manually every night and also use ATF cleaner. So can I close out that box?
Linda

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:44 PM

If you had S&D then it confirms it - its quarantine. In my opinion, you should delete all the items in list or avast! will show them next time too.
Its nice to know that you follow safe practices and maintain computer very well :thumbsup:

#7 LindaIHN

LindaIHN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 06:55 AM

Hi Romeo,
I'm going to have to run Avast again and delete that list. I had to get to bed last night so I closed it and ran Malwarebytes, which was clean. Since I don't use my desktop much at all, I rarely run any anti-malware/spyware programs because it's usually off. lol I don't know what made me run Avast yesterday. Thank you so much for your help. I have another post about my laptop that no one has had any suggestions for and maybe you can help me on that??? It's under Windows Vista and I think the topic name is "My cursor is going crazy." Have a nice day.
Linda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users