Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes Up, Can't Run Virus Scans

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CoastieWife

CoastieWife

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:10 PM

I am running a Dell Inspiron with Windows XP. Yesterday my computer began freezing up after a few minutes of use and there was no alternative but to press the power button and turn it off. Now the computer freezes up within one minute of booting up. It will not start in safe mode and I cannot run task manager. I have tried to run AntiMalwareBytes, Spybot, and Avast. All of these hang up after around 30 seconds. I have restarted the computer around 30 times today and it is getting worse with each reboot. I thought it might be a virus so I tried hitting Alt F4 to stop it, but this just prompted me to restart the computer. I managed to run a HijackThis log a moment ago (I am on another computer), but it froze up before I could save the log. I am trying to reboot now to see if I can find the log, but then I will have to manually type it onto this computer unless by some miracle I can connect to this site and post it before I freeze up. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CoastieWife

CoastieWife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:30 PM

I posted a HijackThis log a few days ago in that forum.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:40 PM

Well, actually you didn't, but you have now. Your topic is here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/258057/infected-with-trojan-downloaderwma-among-others/

However, I cannot tell if that is for the same computer or not. Please inform.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 CoastieWife

CoastieWife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:00 AM

This is not the same computer as in the other topic I posted, which has been resolved. Sorry for the confusion. THIS post refers to my Dell Inspiron laptop, which is currently collecting dust in a corner since it won't let me do anything on it. I'm amazed that I got HijackThis to run, and although I know it was an old version, there's nothing much I can do about that since I can't download an update. Is there something I can do in Safe Mode?

Thanks for your time.

#5 tman 1

tman 1

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:20 AM

http://thepcsecurity.com/clean-malware-fro...timate-boot-cd/ here is help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users