Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rootkit Infection [Moved from XP]

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Impala_Dave

Impala_Dave

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 01:57 PM

My pc is infected with a rootkit that has identical problems as those listed in this topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/252354/rundll-error-loading-tapiinfo/. We had taken the C: and F: drives out of my pc and connected them to another pc as extra drives since the anti-virus software wouldn't run. By scanning them from the other pc it did remove a couple of viruses but after installation back into my pc, all of the symptoms still exist (rundll error loading tapi.info, antivirus software won't, and internet connections get redirected). Seeing how the attached thread ends with formatting the drive, that's where I plan on going next. First I have the following questions. Is it safe to transfer files (pics, music, office docs) from the C: drive before formatting? The F: drive was used as a backup to store pics, music, and office docs. Can I assume that this drive is not infected since this is a rootkit?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 02:19 PM

I am moving this topic for you to the Am I Infected forum. I have also deleted the duplicate post you made in someone else's topic to avoid confusion issues.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users