Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help me to understand this, ASAP

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 theinvulnerable

theinvulnerable

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 01:37 PM

Hi experts, please help me by explaning this situation on me. Last month and a half I formatted my one and only 80gb HDD in two partition. So now i have two partition in only one HDD, which is called the drive C and drive D. The biggest partitioned is drive C the one where i installed my OS which is windows xp professional service pack 2. Then the drive D remain RAW, so i format it by right clicking drive D: then go to format with NTFS file system like on drive C but this time without installing another Operating System. So I thought I only have one Operating System Installed on my HDD.

And now my question is if i'm planning to Re-install my Operating System on Drive C: with deleting partitioned space, would it delete also the files that i put on my drive D: ?

Thank you very much, I hope u can help me...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 01:49 PM

Hi :thumbsup:, I'm no expert but I try to help :flowers:.

<<...if i'm planning to Re-install my Operating System on Drive C: with deleting partitioned space, would it delete also the files that i put on my drive D: ?>>

It depends...how's that for a non-answer?

a. If you have a Microsoft XP install CD...and it is not a MS OEM/System Builder version...you should be able to do as you stated. I would go a step further and suggest that you delete the existing partition...and then use the XP CD to create a new partition/format same/install XP.

b If you have a MS XP install Cd and it is a System Builder/OEM version (which is what I have), then I don't think that you will be able to do what you outlined. The reason...the SB/OEM versions of XP expect to be installed on a hard drive which does not have anything else on it, since the O/S is the first thing that should be installed. It differs from the retail/upgrade versions of XP in that regard, if I recall correctly.

c. If you are using any recovery/restore disks from any computer manufacturer...those play by the rules of the system manufacturer, which are not necessarily rules that conform to the behavior documented for a MS XP install CD.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 September 2009 - 01:49 PM.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 02:32 PM

And now my question is if i'm planning to Re-install my Operating System on Drive C: with deleting partitioned space, would it delete also the files that i put on my drive D: ?

If you delete all partitions (including D:) OR if you delete D: partition, then you would lose what you have on D:

#4 theinvulnerable

theinvulnerable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 02:53 PM

If you delete all partitions (including D:) OR if you delete D: partition, then you would lose what you have on D:

What if i don't delete D: partition, but i delete the C: partitioned space where my only operating system stored. Should i able to retrieve the file on drive D: after i install operating system on C: , which is the same CD/product key i used like before?

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:34 PM

Do you know what you have in the way of installation CDs?

If you can figure that out with 100% certainty and that will allow the best advice.

A bootable XP installation CD which is not the same as a "recovery CD" that came from Dell or Compaq or whomever your HW vendor is.

A bootable XP installation CD (at least mine) is just one CD - not a "set of" recovery CDs.

I think this is a reasonable idea:

Put your CDs in the drive, open My Computer and see what the name or "label" is for the CD.

For example: WXPVOL_EN

Find the name and we can help look it up.

Edited by joseibarra, 05 September 2009 - 03:37 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 03:10 AM

What if i don't delete D: partition, but i delete the C: partitioned space where my only operating system stored. Should i able to retrieve the file on drive D: after i install operating system on C: , which is the same CD/product key i used like before?

Yes if you do it through Windows XP setup.
But tell me what is the reason of this deleting partition space? Why not just do a format of C: partition during install? Besides deleting partition would be riskier.
If you delete C: but not D:, then you cannot increase disk space on C: partition. There is no other benefits I can think of for which you might want to do so.

My advice to you is that forget about deleting partition and just do a full NTFS format of C: when you re-install XP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users