Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

KEEPS RESTARTING

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vhawkins

vhawkins

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:41 PM

Hello, I am going to apologize upfront...please be patient with me and if you need more info to help me please ask.

I have an emachines computer that has seemed to work fine until recently. It runs windows XP Professional Edition. When I turn on the computer it appears to work...(i hear it running) and it goes thru the normal start up process but when it gets to the windows start up screen it sits there for a few seconds acts like it is going to start up and then restarts itself. I have tried to put it in safe mode and start windows normal that way but the same thing happens. Honestly I have no idea what I am looking at if I put it in safe mode so I really don't know what I am supposed to be looking for.

Any help is greatly appreciated...thank you very much in advance.

Vanessa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:43 PM

Hi vhawkins, welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

So, to be clear: starting in safe mode doesn't work at all, right?

#3 vhawkins

vhawkins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:50 PM

I can hit F8 and select safe mode then it asks me to select the operating system to start which is windows xp professional edition and then then entire screen fills with things such as
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWSSystem32\Drivers\hpn.sys

and a bunch of other similar things and then it restarts

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 01:56 PM

What's the last line that appears before it restarts?

#5 vhawkins

vhawkins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 02:24 PM

Now it won't even load in safe mode. When I select safe mode the white bar at the bottom of the screen fills up like it is going to load and then it restarts...I can't even get the screen with all the lines.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users