Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows freezing at the start up screen.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cat2009

Cat2009

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:44 AM

I have managed to complete the windows installation. (I was re-installing windows after my computer crashed) The only problem now is that when I switch the computer on, it freezes at the Black Windows screen (the one with the red, green,blue and yellow motif) the three small blue dots come up but freeze seconds later. I can get into safe mode but dont know what I can do to check this.

I would be very grateful if you have any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:24 AM

Why did you reinstall Windows? From your perspective...what was the problem and symptoms?

What method did you use to reinstall (recovery/restore CDs, recovery/restore partition, Microsoft XP install CD, some CD provided by system manufacturer, etc.)?

System manufacturer and model...or (if custom-built) motherboard manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 Cat2009

Cat2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:39 AM

Hi Louis

Thank you very much for your reply. I have a Packard Bell Easynote MV46-005 laptop. It crashed and I had reformatted the drive and tried to reinstall Windows XP Home Edition again. I unfortunately, dont have the recovery section any longer as I delete this sometime ago.

I have no longer got my recovery disks. I mislaid them some time ago. So I have bought a Genuine Retail Windows XP Home Edition which I'm trying to install.

The installation has gone alright as far as I can see but it freezes when I start up the computer at the black screen with the Windows coloured motif.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:54 AM

That could indicate a problem with the hard drive, among other things.

I would just delete everything on that drive...and then try a clean install, following the guidance at XP Clean Install, Stevens - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users