Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 vincentj

vincentj

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:05 AM

As I'm new here, I have a question: How can one identify a suspected bogus entry in the long list of startup events listed in the log file?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:15 AM

I can probably answer...if you can define what a "bogus entry" might be...and tell me what log file you are referring to.

There are many startup items which should not necessarily be classified as such...but many of them are legitimate entries put there by programs which think that it's easier for the user if the program component runs at startup.

As for looking up anything on the Web...Google is still the #1 tool I suggest.

If you want to monitor/manage startup items, I suggest using a tool like AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx but I further suggest that you confine yourself to the Logon tab of Autoruns. That is the tab which lists the items users normally mean when using the term "startups."

Louis

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:54 AM

Google is an excellent resource.

Bleeping Computer's own Startup Database is also a worthwhile stop on the research train. And you can also avail yourself of BC's Startup Programs forum for anything you're not sure about.

Autoruns, like hamluis mentioned, is a very good way to see what is starting up with Windows. Confining yourself to the logon tab will also help you avoid disabling something important. A good rule to follow, though, is to never delete an entry using Autoruns, only disable it. That will allow you to easily restore an entry ahould it turn out to be important.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 05 September 2009 - 11:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users