Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No NTDLR

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Not me

Not me

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:47 AM

Hi,
I bought a Toshiba 4600 laptop at a yard sale a few weeks back.It has both Windows 98 and Windows XP installed on it. The computer has been working fine. All it shows now is NO NTLDR.
Any fix?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:50 AM

Worth reading, IMO: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...13025535AAjeqlk

Louis

Personally...I would worry about malware before I worried about the file.

Edited by hamluis, 05 September 2009 - 09:51 AM.

#3 Not me

Not me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:19 AM

Worth reading, IMO: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...13025535AAjeqlk

Louis

Personally...I would worry about malware before I worried about the file.

Thank you Sir.
I was able to access the repair section,problem was,I didn't have a clue of where to go or what to do once I was in there. Thanks to the link you provided,I now at least have a place to start.
Is there a way to check for malware without having the operating system up and running?

Thanks again.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:41 AM

Yes, there are ways...some AV programs are still capably of running from floppy or CD.

Worth a look, http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5736

Louis

#5 Not me

Not me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:18 PM

Ran the repair as stated. received,access denied on both comands. When the computer was restarted I receive, ERROR ENTERING OPERATING SYSTEM.

??

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 01:08 PM

No such error message, per my quick search of Google.

Typically, "access denied" messages are permissions problems...that means that the system has decided that the user doesn't have the right to do whatever was tried.

Louis

#7 Not me

Not me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 03:18 AM

Had to delete the partitions,then reformat before setup would reinstall the OS. Since there wasn't any software to speak of,there wasn't anything to lose. After spending all afternoon trying all kinds of comands and receiving ACCESS IS DENIED,FILE CAN"T BE FOUND,DRIVE NOT READY ,etc,etc,I just gave in. The drive had some kind of HDFART and nothing was responding.
Anyway,all is as it was before,minus a few programs. Now all I need is a reinstall disk for the drivers.
While I was out and about today I picked up another project. Nothing great,an old Dell inspiron 1000. Just my luck,it seems to need a hard drive.

Thanks for all the help,case closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users