Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1066 ram registering as 400mhz settings help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 zedsed420

zedsed420

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:44 PM

Heres my system
Mobo MSI DKA790GX
Proc Phenom II x4 955 @ 3.2ghz
RAM G.Skill DDR2 1066 4x2g
Video 2 XFX Radeon 4870's in crossfire mode
PSU Rosewill 850w 80 plus certified

I am running Windows 7 ultimate x64. The system itself is running fine (no bsod or other crashes) but my RAM isn't registering at 1066. Instead it shows 400mhz. I have heard different solutions for this and it seems to come down to settings in the bios. However, a clear explanation of what those settings should be has proven difficult to find. Does anyone else have a solution to this problem with actual settings needed to be input into the bios? Or even a different solution that works? Thanks in advance for your help!

And I built this myself.

Edited by zedsed420, 04 September 2009 - 09:45 PM.

Asus Crosshair III  Motherboard, AMD PhenomII x4 965 custom watercooled XSPC Raystorm copper block,  8g Mushkin Blackline
2 XFX Radeon 4890's in Crossfire mode custom watercooled full copper EK blocks,  XSPC rs360 triple 120 radiator 
850w Antec full modular 80plus certified,  NZXT Switch Black case  Custom Watercooled Laing DDC w/ XSPC pumptop res

Tygon black tubing,  all Bitspower fittings and clamps, 2 Samsung 1T spinpoint F1's 

Windows 7 Professional x64 dual boot Ubuntu 12.10

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:57 AM

Worth reading, http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=124874.0

Is this the board you have, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813130190 ?

Or this one, http://www.trustedreviews.com/motherboards...MSI-DKA790GX/p2 ? Worth reading, I think.

Did you do the BIOS update referenced?

From what I see...this board only supports AM3 processors after said BIOS update.

So, I'm guessing that your system thinks it has a typical AM/AM2 CPU and the clock speed is 400, which drops the RAM down to match. Just guessing.

Then again...have you tried to change the BIOS bus speed (increase from 400/800 to 533/1066)?

Louis

#3 zedsed420

zedsed420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 04:40 PM

The mobo I am using can be found here
I have updated the bios to version 1.8 and the 955 ph2x4 is running fine.I have tinkered some with the ram settings in the bios and its confusing. When I changed all the settings to the recommended ones for 1066 I bsod. the only way to get the os to boot is to scale it back. Would an os reinstall after bios changes help? Or maybe using different settings than those already tried? (can't remember settings used due to forgetting to write them down)

Asus Crosshair III  Motherboard, AMD PhenomII x4 965 custom watercooled XSPC Raystorm copper block,  8g Mushkin Blackline
2 XFX Radeon 4890's in Crossfire mode custom watercooled full copper EK blocks,  XSPC rs360 triple 120 radiator 
850w Antec full modular 80plus certified,  NZXT Switch Black case  Custom Watercooled Laing DDC w/ XSPC pumptop res

Tygon black tubing,  all Bitspower fittings and clamps, 2 Samsung 1T spinpoint F1's 

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 05:16 PM

Well...when I had a timing problem with the RAM I used and the BIOS bus speed/clock...I would also get a BSOD if I set the bus clock too high for the RAM. When I decided to lower the bus speed instead of increasing it, my BSODs stopped and I ran that RAM at lower than the stated clock speed.

If you get BSODs when you raise the speed, but it performs adequately at a lower speed...I'd have to guess that board and that RAM are not meant for each other when it comes to optimal functioning.

All I can suggest is to play with the settings in the BIOS and see if you can hit upon something that allows your objective.

That Trusted Reviews link covers the board you have, I believe.

Louis

#5 zedsed420

zedsed420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:25 PM

I thank you for your help. In order to save time and make this all work I decided to replace the mobo with an Asus CrosshairIII. Seems to be a little more RAM friendly. I am still interested in solving the problem with this mobo though, I just need a functional system at max settings.

Edited by zedsed420, 05 September 2009 - 06:26 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:28 AM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 zedsed420

zedsed420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:10 PM

I wouldn't call this resolved persay, I just ordered the other mobo to make this rig more oc friendly, I would still like to find a way to get it to work on this board as I will be putting it in another rig and if I can find a way to get it to work, I will buy more 1066 RAM for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users