Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home network

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 craneop

craneop

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:00 PM

Hello, I set up a home network. Using a linksys wireless router (WRT160N). When I purchased the router I was told that I would be able to see and communicate with all comps in network.
I have a desktop that's wired to linksys router and two laptops that connect wireless.
First attempt I used easylink advisor to setup. Everything worked fine but I couldn't see the two wireless comps from desktop.
Second time I setup network with wins xp network setup wizard. Everything works fine.
Problem is I still can't see the two laptops.
When I open my network places my network is listed.( 3 comps)When I click on it, I recieve a box-(joes network is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. contact the administrator).The two laptops are my minor daughters. I would really like to be able to communicate between desktop and laptops and monitor there internet activities. Any Suggestions ? BTW I'm logged in as admin.Thanks,Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:26 PM

What you are looking for is parental control software

What you are talking about is File and Printer Sharing with XP. OR if you have Vista just take out the XP and put Vista in the google search box. It sounds to me like you have it set up, the thing these guides never tell you'll need an account on all the PCs OR just turn on the guest account.

The reason I said what you are looking for is the parental controls is, with file/print sharing you can get into the files to see where they have gone BUT the parental controls have the power to limit where they can go in the first place =) And good on ya for caring enough to look into this sort of thing.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 craneop

craneop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:58 AM

CaveDweller2, I appreciate the reply. Thanks,joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users