Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Flash Drive Removal Error

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 djd1

djd1

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:13 PM

This has me stumped. I have 3 computers all with exactly the same xp pro. sp3 os. Not on a network, all are stand alone. On this one when I try to remove any usb flash drive after using it I get a popup that says dll.exe, nothing else is in the body of the popup and the computer will freeze and I will have to use task mgr. to end it. The other 2 computers, no problem, I use the safely remove, stop the device and all is good. I did a sfc scannow and inserted my installation disk and it ran for 45 minutes to complete. I did a disk check and recovery of bad sectors. I did a disk cleanup and defrag. I checked the event viewer but nothing there at the time it occurred. This will happen with any flashdrive. I checked the device mgr. and nothing usb related is shorting out all drivers are current and functioning correctly. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions. By the way I have 75 % free Hard drive space 2 gb of ram and the desktop is not overheating.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 djd1

djd1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:54 PM

Anybody????

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,884 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:07 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/dll.exe-867.html

Louis

#4 djd1

djd1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:25 AM

Hamluis, thank you for your reply. I have updated and run (in safe mode) every antispyware and antivirus imaginable since this first occurred. Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, Norton internet securtity 2009, eset nod 32, ad infinitum and everything comes back clean. I just don't think it's a malware problem but I can't for the life of me figure it out. I have already done a sfc scannow using my installation cd successfully. I have done a disk cleanup and defrag, I did dskchk to check for bad sectors and recover file space. However, whenever I attempt to remove any thumb drive from any of my usb ports using safely remove, my computer freezes and I get a popup that simply says "rundll". I can exit it with task mgr. but with no info. in event viewer I am unable to proceed. I thought perhaps a usb driver or controller needed to be updated but none seem to be needed. HELP!!!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,884 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:13 AM

Current USB drivers for controllers (remove all controllers via Device Manager)...need to be removed, the system rebooted...and the drivers automatically reinstall.

XP provides those drivers automatically, I believe.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users