Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Downgrading" to XP from Vista?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 computergeek522

computergeek522

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 04 September 2009 - 05:14 PM

Hey all. I hope I'm posting this in the right forum; if not, feel free to move it wherever it needs to be.

Now, bear with me, because I'm really not as much of a moron as this post might make me out to be!

I have a Gateway T-1413h notebook that came pre-installed with Vista. I have discs that allow me to restore the computer to its factory default settings if I need (or want) to, and I also have a backup disc with all the necessary default drivers for the computer.

I'm really not into Vista, for a number of reasons, and would really like to just go back to XP. My question is: Would the process be any different on a machine that came pre-installed with Vista? I've only dealt in the past with computers that came "as is", with no OS installed at all. Would it just be as easy as putting my XP installation disc in and letting it run? And then, what about the driver files? Would they still work with XP, I wonder?

Also: Let's say for argument's sake that downgrading to XP wouldn't be a problem. Is there a way to do it so that I'm just installing the OS, without doing a total wipe of my hard drive? I hate having to back everything up and basically start over again. Or...here's another question, although this is something I've never done before. Would it be possible to set up another partition on the hard drive and set up XP on that one, basically running two OS on the same machine?

I'm sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions! But any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Snoofie : Computer Geek Wannabe

Dell Inspiron 5537
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 10, 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:52 PM

I have a Gateway T-1413h notebook that came pre-installed with Vista. I have discs that allow me to restore the computer to its factory default settings if I need (or want) to, and I also have a backup disc with all the necessary default drivers for the computer.

I'm really not into Vista, for a number of reasons, and would really like to just go back to XP. My question is: Would the process be any different on a machine that came pre-installed with Vista? I've only dealt in the past with computers that came "as is", with no OS installed at all. Would it just be as easy as putting my XP installation disc in and letting it run? And then, what about the driver files? Would they still work with XP, I wonder?

You would need to boot with the XP disk in the drive. Delete the partition(s), format it then install XP. The drivers on the disk may or may not work with XP. I would check HERE. Using the drop down menus and see if XP support (drivers) is available for your machine.

Also: Let's say for argument's sake that downgrading to XP wouldn't be a problem. Is there a way to do it so that I'm just installing the OS, without doing a total wipe of my hard drive? I hate having to back everything up and basically start over again. Or...here's another question, although this is something I've never done before. Would it be possible to set up another partition on the hard drive and set up XP on that one, basically running two OS on the same machine?

You are talking about a dual-boot system. While it can and has been done, the suggested process usually involves partioning the hard drive and installing XP first. Then installing Vista to the empty partition created when you installed XP.

There may be a work around that will get you to where you want to be without having to install 2 OS`s. But I am the wrong person to be giving advice on duak-booting.

Caution: If your PC is still under warranty I would check with Gateway prior to the XP install as it may void the warranty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users