Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalled WXP - lost half my hard drive space???

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 maxcalvada

maxcalvada

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 04 September 2009 - 03:46 PM

I was steered toward this stire from techsupportforum.com.
The re-installation happened(I found out later I didn't have to) after someone installed Linux in my system for a project we're working on(don't ask, long story). The addition of Linux slowed down my whole computer and I am pretty certain I uninstalled Linux(I no longer have the WXP or Linux option when I first turn on my PC). After re-installing XP(from my D drive?) there is less than a gig of space left.

The person helping me at techsupport forum suggested I download Tree Size and report back to him the results....which are the following:

n C:\
I have 24.4 GB being used:

7.3 GB Documents & Settings
6.7 GB Windows
4.6 GB Program Files
3.9 GB Recycler (if this means the recycle bin, it's currently empty)
1.2 GB Files
0.7 GB HP
many other files below are all listed as 0 GB

If I'm only taking using 24.4 GB and my hard drive capacity is 55.4 GB, why do I only have 447 MB of free space left? We've tired to open up the System Volume root folder in my C drive, but access is always denied with everything we've tried so far....very frustrating...

Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 03:50 PM

It sounds like the Linux partition is still there.

When you installed XP did you reformat and install. A good possibility the Linux partition was not seen and therefore still intact.

In disk manager, how does the hard drive show up?

#3 maxcalvada

maxcalvada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:09 PM

I think I reformatted, but it was a couple months ago and I can't say for sure.

I just went to the Computer Management box and highlighted Disc Management - this is Disc Manager?

Anyway, I highlighted the C drive and the layout is partition; the type is basic; the File System is NFTS & the Status is Healthy(System)

Underneath that I see Disc O and 5 boxes to the right of that. When C drive is highlighted, the 2nd box is highlighted in gray and says HP_Pavili & right beneath that it says 56.82 GB NT & just below that is says Healthy(sys

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:25 PM

That is a restore partition. It is what the manufacturers do now instead if giving restore CDs out when a computer is purchased. It contains an exact image of what was on the PC when you first purchased it.

But there is still something not quit right. That size is way to big.

#5 maxcalvada

maxcalvada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:45 PM

Sorry for not getting back sooner - I thought I got an email alert everytime I got a reply...I just checked this page now.

Anyway, the person at techsupportforum has me trying this and that, but we are getting nowhere. How can I get the Linux partition gone(if that's the problem) and the rest of my HD space?

Per his instructions, I most recently did the following:

I downloaded EASEUS and it says that I have D/HP Recovery FAT32 with a size of 5.52 GB
Below that it says C: NFTS with Size: 56.82 GB, Used: 55.36GB and Unused: 1.46GB
Below that are 2 "others" - one of these "others" has a size of 745.63MB, another has a size of 4.73GB and another has a size of 6.76GB. None of these "others" have any unused space.

Originally, you had me use Treesize to find how much space I was currently using in my C Drive, which came to 24.4 GB.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:56 PM

Was`t me that suggested Treesize.

If you right click on any of the 3 partitions in question do you have an option to delete the partition?

#7 maxcalvada

maxcalvada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:09 PM

Sorry for the confusion----it was the tech support guy at techsupportforum that had me download/use Treesize...I copied and pasted my last reply to him to give you an idea what we've done so far.

Yes, those bottom 3 on EASEUS(below D & C drive) - when you write click, you can delete.

Should I do that.

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:11 PM

You should be quit safe doing that.

Note the "should".

#9 maxcalvada

maxcalvada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:31 PM

I think I deleted all 3, but it made no difference...I still have very little available hard drive space. NOTE - after deleting all 3, I notice another partition that says under TYPE "unallocated" and is 12.23GB in size. As I don't understand any of this, this especially makes no sense to me.

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:39 PM

Ok. Now that we are that far you want to allocate it. Has been a while since I have worked on the sys. partition. I believe you will first need to format it. You will want NTFS.

Working from memory here, what options now appear with right click.

I am thinking without the use of third party software you are going to end up with another drive listed but with usable space roughly equaling what you have been missing.

#11 maxcalvada

maxcalvada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:23 PM

For NFTS, I right click and I get: resize/move; copy; explore; label; properties; advanced(under advanced you can only do "check partition")

My computer has 55.44GB of hard drive space & I'm only using about half that....I don't want another drive....I want it the way it was - full use of the 54.44GB in one drive. Why don't Windows or HP allow me to do that, just because I inadvertently did a reinstall. That seems just crazy to me.

#12 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:31 PM

For NFTS, I right click and I get: resize/move; copy; explore; label; properties; advanced(under advanced you can only do "check partition")

I think you want move. Then you want to place it next to your C: if that kind of option is given.

My computer has 55.44GB of hard drive space & I'm only using about half that....I don't want another drive....I want it the way it was - full use of the 54.44GB in one drive. Why don't Windows or HP allow me to do that, just because I inadvertently did a reinstall. That seems just crazy to me.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Windows\HP and, not being a smart a$$, just the way things are.

#13 maxcalvada

maxcalvada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:33 PM

I think you want move. Then you want to place it next to your C: if that kind of option is given.

I'm sorry, I don't have that much technical knowledge. I don't know what this means.

#14 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 05:34 PM

When you select the option of "move" it will probably ask you how\where. IMO, since you want it merged with C: so it is one large drive then if it ask`s, this is the option you want.
The exact wording may\will be different.
Have never used the software you are using so these are semi-educated guess`s.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 09 September 2009 - 05:55 PM

Easeus has a number of different programs which are free...which one do you have installed?

Unallocated space reflected on a hard drive...is space that has not been partitioned/formatted. This space is not useable by Windows until it has been formatted/partitioned/added to an existing partition.

This space can be added to a neighboring existing partition, using Easeus Partition Master.

<<Why don't Windows or HP allow me to do that, just because I inadvertently did a reinstall. That seems just crazy to me.>>

Windows/HP...have nothing to do with what happened. When you did a duplicate install (if that's what you did), that means that more space is being used and less is available. Same for if your reinstall caused the old files to be saved on the hard drive. It's no more "crazy" than pouring 1 gallon of water into a 2-gallon container...twice.

Can you post a screen shot of either Disk Management in XP...or the window reflecting your partitions/drives in Easeus Partition Master?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users