Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New network problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 librarylady

librarylady

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 22 July 2005 - 04:04 PM

I recently purchased a Netgear WGR614 wireless router. My DSL cable goes to the router and my desktop is linked to the router. It works fine. My son has an IBM Thinkpad that he used on the wireless network at his college and many other places. Even with the laptop in the same room with the router, he cannot connect to the internet. We have checked all of his settings and followed the instructions on the cd that came with the router. Is there another piece that i need to buy or did I do something else wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 22 July 2005 - 04:10 PM

Have you used the wireless router with any other wireless devices before? It's possible that during the initial setup of the Netgear device that it was disabled. Use the administrative console to confirm the wireless is up and running.

From your son's laptop; you say he's used it wirelessly before. Then he ought to know how to 'view available networks' and get picked up by your Netgear router. It may just be as simple as that.

To simplify among what you've already done and seen... is this an issue of the laptop not seeing the router or of the router not being in wireless mode?

#3 librarylady

librarylady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 22 July 2005 - 04:47 PM

I have not used any other wireless devices. When I tried to check the settings on his laptop I get various messages: Unable to connect, Could not connect to NETGEAR (we already went through the process of setting this up opn his laptop so the name of the network is in there), IBM Access Connection wireless network not connected. I was referred to an article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base #871122 and did the two things recommended (start>run>ncpa.cpl, and start>run>%SystemRoot%\system32\services.msc /s and ended up with an error message that the wireless connection cannot be set up. Since my desktop which has a connection directly to the router, is working, does that mean the router is working rpoperly or is it just because I am directly connected?
Netgear charges for phone help.

#4 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 25 July 2005 - 10:35 AM

Since your desktop directly connected to the router is working, at least part of the router is working correctly, yes. You need to try and troubleshoot what could be wrong wirelessly and what I'm not sure of yet is whether the wireless connection issue is with the router or with your son's laptop.

Administrative console for the router. Refer to your Netgear router user's guide or their website and get into the Administrative Console. Within it you may find the problem with wireless. It may have been disabled or restricted in some way. The admin console will have a part which deals exclusively with the wireless aspect; report back on that.

Son's laptop. Can you make the laptop report on what wireless networks are available? By right-clicking the entry for the wireless adapter (in network neighborhood or my network places) you should have the option to see what is out there. Does it include your Netgear router or not? Refer to the Administrative Console for the router if you are in doubt as to what it is named (SSID). Also, if the laptop's wireless adapter is simply disabled it will be obvious from that right-click menu as well.

Not sure what to make of the KB article and the unable to setup wireless connection message, but please go over the steps outlined above and let me see what you are dealing with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users