Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screen errors

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 LilDeamon

LilDeamon

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 04 September 2009 - 02:13 PM

Ok they seem less frequents since 'syler' fixed all my malware problems but today I got these two BSOD when watching videos on youtube.

BSOD 1

BSOD 2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 04 September 2009 - 02:48 PM

0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didnít catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

I would uninstall the current video drivers and then reinstall same or update.

Info on win32k.sys file, http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/process.pl?p=win32k.sys, I would leave this alone for the time being...on the assumption that your video drivers are damaged and created the problem with XP and this file.

Louis

#3 LilDeamon

LilDeamon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 03:42 PM

Thanks for the help, ill be sure to reply again if I get another bsod :thumbsup:

Edited by LilDeamon, 05 September 2009 - 09:35 AM.

#4 LilDeamon

LilDeamon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:35 AM

:thumbsup: there we go, a new one this time BSOD 3

And again... BSOD 4

First blue screen today BSOD 5

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:18 AM

Did you do as I suggested...uninstall the video drivers, then reinstall them?

Louis

#6 LilDeamon

LilDeamon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:58 AM

Yes

#7 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:18 AM

If you have ram problems those bsods can point at almost anything so may be meaningless. If it does not help to uninstall then install Nvidia drivers try exclude ram by running Memtest86 http://www.memtest.org/ Ram could be ok even with errors, problem is bios settings, voltage/timings. Or a fan stopped spinning and overheating is causing bsod. Power supply might be over the hill, motherboard the same. A cable, video card, ram module could be lose. Kicking it about might fix everything. Try focus on hardware first. Then software if not something is obvious. Be careful not to follow hints from bsods or even minidumps automatically because if hardware is problem they will say go west, now east, now remove Windows. Windows cant diagnose hw problems that well. Those bsods you have are typical for hw problem - messed up video drivers are a force to be scared of, but they are typical.

When excluding dont hold back on taking out cables not absolutely needed. Stuff like printer, scanner, anything usb. Until you know cure, be suspicious of anything. The less you have attached/actively running the easier task is.

I looked at your other thread. Well I dont know about obvious but damn that is a long log. "Driverscan" program to help get you right drivers? Hmm, like using a rouge scanner for safety to me ;) You can find nvidia.com yourself I think. vtany.sys? wonder what that is. Well after you are pretty sure hardware is ok try exclude software. Could be a weird conflict, punkbuster vs. something.

It said "c:\memtest" in one of the logs. That is from their guide to run Memtest86 right? Well did you ever complete test?

#8 LilDeamon

LilDeamon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:34 AM

Yes I completed a test a while ago and it had many errors, but i didnt know what any of it meant, should i put my old 1gb memory in and see how it runs?

#9 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:43 AM

Oh yes. You should take Memtest86 errors very seriously. Dont even boot up if they are pouring out.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:49 AM

Methodology for running Memtest86+ (current version of Memtest):

a. MemTest Manual - http://hcidesign.com/memtest/manual.html

b. Icrontic Ľ Diagnose with Memtest86+ - http://icrontic.com/articles/diagnose_with_memtest86

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool - http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

For reasons why you should not use any other version of Memtest, other than Memtest86+, see Known Problems at Memtest86 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memtest

Louis

#11 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:07 PM

Well be sure it is the one which runs off boot-cd or usb thingy and not a Windows program - or one you paid for! Correct name is Memtest86+ - there are some scams out there.

If you have 2 ram module dont throw them both out. Likely only 1 give all the errors. To find out test them separately. So may be you conclude you can combine old module with working new? Well if that works you are very lucky, could be though. You need to know voltage and timings of both, then set it so both are happy. And hope 2 different chips can work together, if they are different. All this why ram is sold as "pairs", dual or other buzzword. Cant expect random mixes to work at all.

I noticed you have cpu-z. Cool then you can somewhat diagnose ram and find right settings, is burned into them so to speak. Could be there is nothing wrong with ram but your bios misread them and deliver wrong voltage/timings. Sometimes you can even find bios updates that fixes "dram compatibility issues". Tricky hw-area but be sure Windows is worthless if not Memtest86 runs without errors.

Edited by Bambo, 05 September 2009 - 12:07 PM.

#12 LilDeamon

LilDeamon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:12 PM

How can I change the voltage and timings in the bios to work fine with the ram?

#13 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:19 PM

You need to enter bios. Done by holding down a key during bootup. Could be a F-key, often DEL I think. But you should have a look at manual before doing much. Is almost like telling how to edit registry. If you make wrong edits computer might not boot up. Then what? Well then you reset bios to defaults via "Cmos reset" - all in manual. Sometimes done through a button on motherboard, holding down a key-combo during boot. Taking out cmos battery if nothing else works. Go crazy but do it safely.

Some bios dont have many options for this, if any. They just read info from ram modules and that is it. Typically oem-motherboards used by popular brands. Have no clue of your stuff but if you dont know how to get into bios take small steps, and look in manual about bios and resets before doing anything. Should also say if change of voltage/timings is possible.

Edited by Bambo, 05 September 2009 - 12:20 PM.

#14 LilDeamon

LilDeamon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 04:01 PM

:/ It seems me old ram doesnt fir cause its DDR1 not DDR2 so ill have to wait till I can get some new ram, anyways i got two errors with the current module is it worth me telling you?

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 04:04 PM

1 error running Memtest...is the same as 1,000 errors running Memtest.

If you read the links I provided, you would see that.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users