Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Auto Power Shutdowns

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 3Richmondfriends

3Richmondfriends

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 22 July 2005 - 03:59 PM

I have a Dell Dimension 2350 approx. 3.5 years old. About a month ago it began shutting down while in the startup mode. It's running Windows XP, it has CD and CD-R, and 3.5 floppy drives. I have Verizon DSL but disconnected the modem. I have desktop log-ins set for 4 family members. I actually counted and it's approx. 90 seconds into the startup that it just powers off - no warning or beeping. Does anyone have suggestions? Currently I am accessing the Internet through work computer. I would like to know if it is worth trying to fix (hardware or software?) or do I need to look for another machine?

3Richmondfriends

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2005 - 12:48 AM

Hey 3rich,

Sure we can help but you have to answer some questions first.

Do you smoke around your computer?

What do you rate your computer know how as?

Where does the computer live?

This could be as simple as a deep cleaning.

No worries, we will walk you through it.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2005 - 12:52 AM

Does this happen each and every time you start it, or does it happen sporadically? Have you done routine maintenance (scandisk and defragged) before this happened? Can you start up successfully in safe mode?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 3Richmondfriends

3Richmondfriends
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2005 - 05:57 PM

Hi junkdk,
We do not smoke. My computer know how is average - not a novice, I understand most tech terms. My computer lives next to my desk on top of a milk crate (off teh floor). There is a window next to it but the shades are always closed. I checked and the fan on the back still comes on. I have vacuumed the back of the machine periodically and I used compressed air on the keyboard and front of the machine around the CD trays and dials. I have not been able to open the unit as the screws have recessed centers and I do not know what type of screwdriver to purchase. Any suggestions?

#5 3Richmondfriends

3Richmondfriends
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2005 - 06:02 PM

Hi jgweed,

The shut down occurs every time I attempt to use the machine. I would run the defrag approx every 4-6 weeks. I have been able to start in safe mode but the shut down still occurs. If it is a virus I'm not sure how to get around it. Any tips? Do I need Geeks on Call?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users