Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Printer Network

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 d3k0y

d3k0y

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:37 AM

Hello all,

I have an HP 7410 all in one printer that I cant seem to get connected to an office network. The printer is wirelss and I have inputed all the information into the 7410 and have printed a test page that shows that it is indeed connected to the network. I have installed the drivers and software on the PC. When he goes through its setup, it says that it has found the device and properly connected. When I ping the printer, it has zero percent packet loss. So it is definitely communicating with the printer but whenever I try to print a test page or print at all, I get an error. What could be going wrong here? What can I try?

Thanks a lot.

d3k0y :thumbsup:
"I wonder if I've been changed in the night? Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same, the next question is 'Who in the world am I?'"

"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici..."

"Not much really" - Sidis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:41 AM

The exact wording of the error message please.

I am a little lost. At first you say it will print a test page then you say it won`t?

#3 d3k0y

d3k0y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:46 AM

Sorry I was a bit unclear about that wasnt I? The first test page that printed is simply a test page that the printer itself prints out to show that it is connected to the network. The second test page is one that I am trying to print from the PC...which will not print. And the page simply does not print. When I click on the printer icon in the bottom right of the taskbar, it only says "Error Printing."

Thanks.
"I wonder if I've been changed in the night? Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same, the next question is 'Who in the world am I?'"

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:59 AM

Depending on the type of printer does the test page contain the network information?

#5 d3k0y

d3k0y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:28 PM

Yes, the test page contains all of the network information (e.g. IP adress, Hostname, etc.)

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:16 PM

Do an ipconfig /all on the connected PC.

Make sure the IPs are in the same range, subnet masks match, etc.

Another thought, what program are you printing from? I have found that in Word for instance, the print icon in the toolbar does not work. But if you go to File>Print it will work. Just a thought.

#7 d3k0y

d3k0y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:40 PM

Im not too sure what to do with the ipconfig all. I typed it in the command prompt. It doesnt give me a whole lot of info on this network. It lists two local area connections and 4-5 properties for each. As for the print file. I have tried that but thank you for the idea. I also tried the print buttom and going to printer properties and clicking "Print Test Page." All yield the same results. Thank you so much for the ideas though.

d3k0y :thumbsup:

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:48 PM

It is giving you the info. of the wireless NIC of the PC you performed the config on.

If you would list the Printer network info and the PC info it might shed some light.

IP address of each.
Subnet mask of each.
DNS server of each.
Primary and secondary DNS

Cavedweller, another Member here is very good at diagnosing network problems. In his absence you will just have to settle for me it would seem.

#9 d3k0y

d3k0y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 02:52 PM

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
Copyright © 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Dr. Mark>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DrMark-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E
GBE NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-24-8C-F9-AA-05
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3883:fbb5:c485:14f4%10(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.41(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 14:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e50:3071:14e8:3f57:fed6(Pref
erred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3071:14e8:3f57:fed6%11(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Users\Dr. Mark>

That is what I receive with ipconfig /all from the main PC. There are 4-5 PCs in the office. Hopefully all of this info is safe to publish here. Haha to the cavedweller comment. I really appreciate your help. I'll keep eye peeled for him as well.

d3k0y

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 03:25 PM

You are quit safe posting IPs from internal networks. The IP ranges are reserved just for internal networks.
There are literally probably hundred`s of thousands of PCs on internal networks with the same info with the exception of the Physical address (MAC address).

#11 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:19 PM

This is the info you need:
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.41(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

On the print out from the printer when you plugged it in. In that list of things you should see:

TCP/IP Info:
IP Address: (It should be something like 192.168.1.XXX...XXX = something other than 41)
Subnet Mask: (Should be 255.255.255.0)
Gateway Address: (Should be 192.168.1.1)

It might be listed differently, that is how it is listed from my print server.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#12 d3k0y

d3k0y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 02:10 PM

I will back in the office Tuesday and get that information then. Thank you for your help.

d3k0y

#13 d3k0y

d3k0y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:50 AM

Ok I have that info now - the printer network information printout as a lot of info on it but here are the three you asked for...

IP Address: 192.168.1.11
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Looks that is all ok per your last post. Any ideas? Thanks.

d3k0y

#14 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:21 AM

This being a Dr's office or atleast it looks like it, do you have Security setup on the router and if so did you set it up in the printer? This site has all the info on how to enter it in, if you haven't already.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#15 d3k0y

d3k0y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:20 AM

Yes, I have all the necessary information for the network. I tried that site...I have already entered in the WEP key and everything into the printer and the printer says that it is connected to the network. The software is installed on the PC. I can even ping the printer from any of the cimputers and, when I installed the software, it says that it connected to the printer with no difficulties but when I try to print, I get an error everytime. So, its either some other network issue with security (which doesn't sound right at this point because I have even gone as far as to put the printer in the DMZ zone to see if it would print) or there is a software compatibility issue. Any other ideas? Thanks.

d3k0y

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users