Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Battery Life Question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:24 AM

I have a Motorola PEBL U6 that's somewhere around 3 years old. I noticed the battery life had been going down, so I decided to buy a new battery. I got the BR56, which has a slightly increased capacity than the original BR50. The date code on the new battery is 4-20-2009, so it should work well, but it lasts the same amount of time as the battery I replaced (2 days). The original lasted more around 5 days when it was new, so I expected at least that much out of the new one. I send/receive maybe 10 texts a day, and in any given 2 day period, I might talk on the phone for 5-10 minutes. That's more than I did when I first got the phone but still not a lot.

So my question is, can a phone's battery life decrease with the age of the phone, not just the age of the battery?

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RingBearer

RingBearer

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 12 September 2009 - 01:36 AM

Are you on a CDMA network? Verizon, Sprint, Virgin....? When CDMA phones are in a weak area, they use a tremendous amount of power trying to maintain a connection. If you are in such a fringe area , you will exhaust even a fully charged new battery in a couple of hours. This happens to me at work all the time. I have to put it in airplane mode or its dead before lunchtime.

#3 Lanscader

Lanscader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 05:55 PM

No, I'm on a GSM network (AT&T), and I usually have 4-5 bars (Boulder, CO). I tried doing a Master Reset on the phone, and that didn't help anything. I wasn't really sure it would, but my mom had battery problems with her phone, and that's what she was told to do (turned out that phone was defective anyway, though).

Edited by Lanscader, 17 September 2009 - 05:55 PM.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

#4 RTCTech1

RTCTech1

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:31 PM

Do you have bluetooth enabled? Go ahead and disable that if you do, it take a LOT of your battery.

Also, if you send or recieve any emails, or you have an email address set up on the phone, it will constantly be checking the server for updates which will drain battery.

Now, if this new battery is supposed to have a longer battery life, and none of the above factors are an issue, take that batt back! It's most likely DOA :blink:

#5 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:35 PM

After 3 years, the efficiency of the parts of the phone would have deteriorated by now. There is a likely chance that there is something wrong with the processing unit of the phone, not allowing it to utilize the maximum capabilities the battery life has to offer. If it is not that issue, then you may want to purchase a regular BR50 because it may have a issue if that battery is not fit for that model.

I really think it's a phone issue rather than a battery issue. My Motorola RAZR stops charging and it is only 2 years old.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#6 ChrisMN

ChrisMN

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:13 PM

With time, cell phone batteries begin to deteroirate and lose their continuity as far as powerlife. Most devices have generic batteries available and are between 20-45$ but usually your CARRIER should have a upgrade plan. (ie: Verizon has the "New Every Two" thing, and with this you get a brand new phone every two years for the same sale prices a new customer would pay. Although this does extend your contract 1 or 2 years depnding on the discount you get)

ChrisMN

#7 toycel90

toycel90

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:58 AM

Most new cell phone batteries won't hold a full charge until they have been cycled three or four times "charged and discharged" after that you will see a difference in the life of a fully charged battery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users