Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Ultimate won't boot up (black screen of death)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 slycer

slycer

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:10 AM

Okay, bear with me, as this may be a little long. A friend was going out of town last weekend, so he shut his computer down and unplugged it before he left. It was working fine at this point. When he got back home, and started it up again, after the BIOS loaded, it went straight to a black screen and wouldn't budge.
Anyway, he called me for help, and I figured it would be a simple fix, just use the Vista cd and do a Startup Repair on it. Easy, right? Wrong. I forgot that the DVD player in his system has an issue and won't read disks. So, I took his computer to my house, removed the HDD, and installed it in my computer. Before I go on any further, the computer that was having the issue is a Dell Inspiron 531 running on an AMD Athlon X2 (not sure of the exact speed, but it came with Vista preinstalled from Dell, so I'm assuming it meets the minimum requirements), and the one that I was going to use to fix the issue is a Dell Dimension E510, running a Pentium 4 3.0Ghz and 2.5Ghz of RAM.
So, I put the Vista cd in my DVD player, changed the boot sequence, and booted off the cd. Now, when it got into the repair utility, it did NOT list the Vista OS for me to repair it. It said something about (paraphrasing) "... if your OS is not listed, load the drivers for your HDD. Please select the source of the drivers for your HDD to install..." or something to that effect. I have no idea what the drivers would be called, or where to look for them. Besides, it was my understanding that Vista didn't need HDD drivers to run. So, I hit the 'Next' button, and went right to the next page, did a Startup Repair, and the computer finished and restarted. I went back into the BIOS, readjusted the boot sequence, and restarted again. This time, it came up and said "Drive 2 not found, SATA (something or other) Primary IDE Master. Press F1 to continue or F2 to run the setup utility..." This can't be good. If the HDD isn't showing up, does this mean that the drive is fried?
I was going to use my DVD drive in my friend's computer, but my DVD drive uses the old fashioned PATA ribbon cables, whereas his uses the SATA data cables. Does anybody know if there is a PATA to SATA cable adaptor out there, anywhere?
ANY help on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 slycer

slycer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:47 PM

Anybody???

#3 tom19511

tom19511