Jump to content


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.


Websites Not Loading - Strange Problem

  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Potenza365


  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 04 September 2009 - 02:10 AM

I'm having issues with my internet connection. I've troubleshooted it and I'm confident that it's not an issue with my ISP, modem, or router. I know this mainly because restarting my computer resolves the issue. The issue occurs about once a week.

Any help is much appreciated.

1. The issue will begin with web pages not rendering properly (see below screenshot). This happens in IE and Firefox. I've had this issue a couple times before and have found a dialer to be the culprit. I'd go into IE > Options > Connections and see a dialer in the connections box. Simply removing the dialer would resolve the issue, but in this case there is nothing in the box - no dialer. (Note that my previous experiences with dialers were with Windows XP; I'm on Vista now.)
Posted Image

2. After a few minutes of web pages not rendering properly, I'll type a url into the address bar (IE or Firefox). I'll hit enter, but nothing will happen. The page won't attempt to load. All I have is a blank, white page. Doesn't matter what url I enter. (In IE I either get a "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" error or a "The address is not valid" error.)

3. Running a trace route via the command prompt comes up with perfectly normal pings on all hops to google.com. Also, internet radio works fine, but my torrents time out.

OS: Vista
Antivirus: Symantec Endpoint

----Stuff below here isn't important, but might be useful----
Since the problem is resolved after I restart, I thought one of the services in Vista was going screwy and starting, or stopping, at the wrong time. So I simply took a screenshot of my services.msc window when the problem presented itself. Then I'd restart and try to see if there were any services which were started when the issue presented itself but were stopped after my reboot (likewise, I checked to see if there any services which were stopped when the issue presented itself, but were started after my reboot.

These were the only discrepancies:
"KtmRm[...]" was starting (delayed start) after reboot but was stopped during network issue
"Security Center" was stopped after reboot, but was started during network issue
"windows update" was stopped after reboot, but was started during network issue
"wired autoconfig" was stopped after reboot, but was started during network issue

Despite what I had thought, stopping the last 3 services and starting KtmRm doesn't resolve the issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users