Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New $2000 system build

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 duper

duper

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:50 AM

In fact..I was looking very close to this build in maximum PC http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/...hine?page=0%2C1 for 1400... but I want a little more...I want to have RAID 5 going on it (I think) Everything else that MOBO has is fine me...exept for the 4 slots for memory... it should be 6slots esp. for tri channel memory. Anyone have suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:43 AM

It says that that board handles tri-channel.

Unless you are going to load a 64 bit system anything more then 4 gigs is a waste of money\space\wattage since a 32 bit system will only use up to 4 gigs.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 04 September 2009 - 02:56 PM

If you want RAID 5, you will spend a great deal of cash on hard drives. I have no idea why a home user would need RAID 5, though. I would scrap RAID 5 and use the remaining cash to get a better i7 CPU. I would get a different motherboard, one that had six, not four, RAM slots. If you have a four slot motherboard, only three sticks will triple channel and one stick will not. That seems a waste to me. A good alternate board would be the ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard in that it has six slots and is pretty much equal to the Gigabyte in the article. Since there is about $500 left over to play around with, the i7 950 is suggested since you've got the money to spare.

3939.png

#4 duper

duper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 06:14 PM

Thanks guys, the RAID 5 is out... I will probably just go with RAID 1. DJBPace07..thanks for the recommendation of that motherboard...I am definately looking at it.and I will load it with the Windows 7... This system isn't happening till probably right after Christmas....Im just trying to get the feelers out there... thanks much

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 06:28 PM

You will have a lot of changes by Christmas. I can just about guarantee that.

i7 960 will be out, new generation of ATI cards (maybe new NVidia stuff to), new generation of X58 boards as well. If I hadn't just built mine recently, I would be a kid in a candy store around December.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users