Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

question about zone alarm

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jus78

jus78

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 04 May 2004 - 12:17 AM

Zone Alarm asks me certain questions for security purposes before I open my browser. Do I answer "yes" when it asks me if I want to allow Windows Explorer or explorer.exe or ms.exe to access the internet? I always answer "no" and it doesn't appear to cause me any problems. Are these processes that wish to access the internet harmless or even necessary? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 04 May 2004 - 09:40 AM

If answering no still lets you do what you are doing I would suggest checking the "remember my answer" box. Some forms of virii and trojans use Microsoft names to fool firewalls.The ms.exe (and others) might just be something nasty trying to send out all your personal info.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2004 - 12:18 PM

The majority of applications that attempt to access the internet, and cause zone alarm to give you a notification, are harmless.

MS.exe does not sound harmless is most probbably a virus or trojan.

#4 jus78

jus78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2004 - 01:43 PM

I ended the ms.exe process, deleted all three values of it from my registry and have had no problems so it was likely a trojan. I also deleted an explorer.exe value because it looked very suspicious and kept trying to access the net. Without it my computer works fine. It had some odd value like explorer.exe-02121B1A.pf and contained a very small amount of information (11 KB). It's listed as being in my prefetch folder and is actually still showing up in file and folder searches. Should I try deleting it again? Also, in searching for a BAT DEBSKI virus that trend micro housecall picked up as being in the folder C:Windows/System32/O.BAT I couldn't locate it in that folder. Even when exposing hidden files all I found were two files that could have been it: both were listed as "O" files, one being a regular file and the other an MS-DOS batch file. is either of these worthy of possible deletion? Thank you.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2004 - 02:56 PM

Generally there are no .bat files in your system32 directory. If you find some you can be naturally suspicious.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users