Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does a router affect internet speed?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 JackieP

JackieP

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:46 PM

Hopefully I can ask for help with this.

I have Comcast and the speed is supposed to be 6Mbps. My internet connection has been slow lately. I have a wired D-link EBR 2310 router. Comcast tells me that a router can interfere with internet speed. Is that true? My OS is Windows XP Pro, use Firefox and I'm using a Dell laptop.

I did a speed test on speed.io:

Results from http://www.speed.io
(Copied on 2009-09-03 20:38:29)
Download: 3972 Kbit/s
Upload : 1421 kbit/s
Connects : 857 conn/min
Ping: 100 ms

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:26 PM

Whomever told you that...you probably ought never to ask for advice again.

Connection speed will always vary...based on many factors such as time connected, system overload, equipment used by ISP, network saturation due to neighborhood, and so on.

But I've never heard of the router as being one of the many factors.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Why-is-my-Reside...?&id=145690

BTW: You left out a key word when quoting that speed Comcast mentioned...maximum. You might ask them when you can reasonably expect to see that rate...the answer will be "never".

Louis

#3 cpumelter

cpumelter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:26 AM

I have Comcast and the same router as you; I am supposed to have 10Mbps down, & I registered just over 6 at that site. Go Comcast... :thumbsup:

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:06 AM

@ JackieP & Cpumelter.

What Louis said. If you read the fine print you will most likely see the words "up to" xxMbps somewhere in there.

#5 cpumelter

cpumelter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:18 AM

Thunder, you are correct...I know when I have talked to Comcast tech in the past, they tell me that is considered a max speed, not sustained...

#6 Daniel326

Daniel326

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 05:48 PM

if you want call comcast and have them come out and check that you are at full connection. They checked mine and seen that they had old equiptment and they changed it out. It's just a call away and you pay for the service so they should come out.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:30 PM

To answer your question, no, a properly configured and fully operational router will not be a cause for bandwidth issues. Configured improperly or having operational issues, it is possible.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:09 PM

most routers are designed to handle at least 100 mb bandwidth, so 6 will not strain it, unless you have like over 100 computers all using it, in which case I suspect several things, A: your a genious for getting 100 computers hooked up to a normal router and B: the router is the least of your worries. Unless the router is not working right, there should be no reason that router would be slowing you down. The actual internet connection will bottleneck you more then the router.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#9 pcar

pcar

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:25 AM

No way your router is a problem. The tech was... uninformed.

My Comcast speeds vary a lot (download 10-15Mb/s. upload ~5-8Mb/s) depending on the time of day and where the servers are located. This site has a bunch of servers all over the country.

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Good Luck

#10 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 12:14 AM

Try this test site it compares your results with the average from your provider and all of North America and the world speedtest.net

#11 JackieP

JackieP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

Try this test site it compares your results with the average from your provider and all of North America and the world speedtest.net

Thanks!

#12 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

HI,I have COMCAST as well and they told if could afford it i could get up to 12mps,but may be i am losing it in my old
age,but no matter what is coming down the line to the back side of your PC i would think you can only use what your PC
will be able to use.
To me it is like hooking up a 4"fire hose to a 1"garden hose you will only get what the 1" garden hose will allow to the
the connection to the back side cable hook up is this a fair assumption,THANK'S

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

I'll put it this way I had a cheap generic router, When I replaced it with a brand name router with Gigabit ports my throughput went up.

My take on it is that a slow CPU and limited memory in the router can make a difference in speed. Especially with several users.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:07 PM

<<I had a cheap generic router, When I replaced it with a brand name router with Gigabit ports...>>

Well...that makes sense when you move from a non-Gigabit router...to one with Gigabit capability :).

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080506210145AAHyvEg

Louis

#15 creplogle

creplogle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:51 PM

Not entirely true.  I had a similar problem and it turned out it was related to QOS settings in my router. My upstream bandwidth was set too low. I found a post that suggested I set the upstream setting to 40,000 and I went from .72 Mbps, which is what I had before my upgrade from 1Mbps to 10Mbps up. After I changed my upstream to the suggested 40,000 I got right around 10 Mbps! However, when changed QOS and set the upstream to Auto, instead of Manual which is where the 40,000 setting was, I got a little better upload, but my download increased 10Mbps or so to around 64 Mbps. I pay for 100 Mbps down / 10 Mbps up. I'm with Suddenlink in a rural area. 

So double check you have QOS enabled and try increasing your upstream bandwidth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users