Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to back up my hard drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Feeski

Feeski

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:32 AM

Hi again,

Having major problems backing up my computer.

Don't have external hardrive or access to another computer.

So was gonna backup to DVD.

I can only use Cobian to backup.

I have never done a back-up before apart from using the System Restor function in Vista. So I thought that I could just shove in a DVD and select Drive E: in Cobian.

After that didn't work I searched the internet a bit and realised that I had to back-up to somewhere on the computer first and use the 'Split Options' button to select DVD size and then save the back-up to the computer and then burn.

I tried to save it to the D partition by creating a new folder in the D-Drive.

Again when I tried to do the back-up it came with this message:

03/09/2009 23:19:21 Creating or updating the archive "D:\Fiona-Backup1\C 2009-09-03 23;19;21.zip"
ERR 03/09/2009 23:19:43 Error while creating or updating the archive "D:\Fiona-Backup1\C 2009-09-03 23;19;21.zip": Cannot open archive file. Opening aborted or invalid file - Native error: 00045
03/09/2009 23:19:43 **** Backup for "Backup 1" ended. 0 file(s) were backed up. (Elapsed time: 0 hour(s), 0 minute(s), 22 second(s)) ****
ERR 03/09/2009 23:19:44 The backup contains 1 error(s)

My D-Drive is full of system restores 3.73 GB free of 9.99GB...does this mean there is no room?

My C-Drive has 97.7GB free of 220GB, should I just save it to the C-drive instead? But after it is on the DVD, how do I get rid of the backup? Just delete and then clean the Recycle bin?

Really lost with this, sorry.

Fiona.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kenji The Helpful

Kenji The Helpful

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:01 PM

See, the program back up os used when youre not over the limit on memory. (due to my acknowledements). See i would say to delete some unuseful programs....then try to back it p. if it doesint work, i dont think i will be able to solve it.
♣SoftWare Intermediate♣

#3 Feeski

Feeski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 04:04 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

I still have the installation CDs from when I got the laptop. So I guess that I will just back up music, photos etc and hope that when I go to the HijackThis forum and do what they suggest that my computer survives, otherwise it will just have to be a clean re-install!!!

Fiona.

#4 Kenji The Helpful

Kenji The Helpful

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:47 PM

Glad to help ;)

And when you experince this again, just do the same thing, if the procedure doesint work, let me know, and ill try to help as much as i can. But make sure you dont download any unuseful stuff, it could cause....Lag, Internet Connections to lose, Interuptions, and serious risk to lose important data.

~Kenji
♣SoftWare Intermediate♣

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users