Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

One of 3 computers on network not connecting properly?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 gakor

gakor

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:40 PM

Hey!

Okay, so here's my situation:

I have three computers on my network, all connected to a D-Link (DIR-130) Router. Everything was all fine and dandy; I was using a ADSL (I believe) internet connection. Connection was fine, file sharing/printer sharing was working, eveyrone could access the internet.

A few days ago I switched internet providers - I was left without internet for a week before that [the ADSL company was disconnected, had to wait a bit for the others to come install] - and now I'm using cable.
Other than the different connection, nothing has changed.

The problem is, one of my three computers isn't working properly. On that PC [I'll call it PC-A], all file sharing and network connections seem fine. I can access a shared folder and view its contents.
When I try connecting to the internet, however, I get mixed results.
Often, it will load fo r a few seconds, and then just stop. The browser says "Done" in the bottom left [Mozilla], but the page stays white. When connecting through IE, I get an error message - something about saying that it cannot connect to the internet.
Sometimes it WILL connect to the internet, and I'll be able to browse fine, and everything will seem alright... until it randomly stops and I'm back to step 1.
The third result - which for now seems to be the only one - is that although the internet is working, its EXTREMELY slow - taking up to 5 minutes to load a webpage.

Restarting the PC would always fix the first problem, but it was a temporary fix, as it would go back after some time. Sometimes it would randomly just work, but again it would go back to the first problem.

I tried calilng tech support for the ISP - they told me it was a router issue [which seems likely to me]. I called D-Link twice. The first time, after explaining my problem [and I coudl tell she had no idea what to do], she told me that she needed to 'varify the [mumble]' and that I would be put on hold. I waited on hold until I was disconnected. The second time I called, I was told to clone my mac adderss, renew the DHCP. This led to the third result - working internet, but very slow. Thats all I've been getting recently.

One thing I noticed just recently - when the dude came over to install the internet [cable], he connected it directly to PC-A. It was after he left and it seemed to be fine that we connected it to the router. I could see how something would have confingured it to work with a direct connection to the internet instead of through a router - but I'm not sure.

I really don't know what to do. I've spent hours going through the settings and google and I can't find anything.
Anyone have any idea?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:15 PM

With some Cable installs what they do is install the modem connected directly to a PC then they call it in and tie the modem to the MAC address of they PC they used. So when you connect a router, the first thing you have to do is clone the MAC address of the PC to the router so the modem thinks the router is the PC it was installed to. Does that make since? lol

Lets check a couple things.

Checking the speed on the router
Make sure you are connected to the router.
  • Open a browser window
  • type 192.168.0.1 and hit Enter
  • in the pop up put admin as the user name and nothing in for the password(or if you've changed it put what you changed it to....highly recommended you change it)
  • Click on Advanced near the top of the page
  • click on Advanced Network on the left
  • If there is a check in Enable WAN Ping Respond uncheck it
  • Near the bottom make sure it is set to Auto 10/100Mbps(if it is set to 10Mbps set it to Auto etc)
  • Click Save Settings button near the top
  • Click on Status near the top and get the Firmware version
  • Close the browser
Checking connection speed
  • Goto Network connections
  • Right click on Local Area Connection
  • click on Status
  • Near the top on the right you should see 100.0Mbps. If you see something like 10Mbps let us know.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 03 September 2009 - 08:18 PM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 gakor

gakor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:51 PM

Yes, that does make sense. I, for some reason, thought that the whole "Clone MAC address" thing was only required if you have ADSL type internet, and that it doesnt matter with cable. Nonetheless, the tech-support lady told me to do that anyways.
I don't think that really makes all that much sense, anyways, considering that PC-A is the one with the problem, an dit was PC-A that the cable was connected to first. PC-B and PC-C are having no problems whatsoever with the internet. I'm using one right now and I've been on it for at least two hours so far.

It was already set to Auto, but I unchecked the WAN thing.

The connection speed is and has een 100Mbps.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:08 AM

Try plugging into the modem directly
  • On PC -A - Click on Start
  • Click Run
  • type CMD and hit enter. Leave the black box up.
  • Unplug the cable running to the router from PC-A
  • Unplug the cable running to the modem from the router
  • Plug the cable from PC-A into the modem. Go back to PC-A
  • In the black box type ipconfig /release. Hit Enter
  • When the prompt pops back up, type ipconfig /renew. Hit Enter. It might come up with an error if it does just re-enter ipconfig /renew. Sometimes you have to do it twice.
Surf for a while. Be VERY careful where you go and stuff. Your PC will be wide open, unless you are running a firewall. But got to a few of the pages that are slow for you when connected to the router. If its still slow then its the PC and we'll go from there. If its faster, then its either the port on the router it was plugged into or the router just doesn't like that PC.

If it is faster when reconnecting the router pick a different port on the router to plug PC-A into. See if that makes a difference. Just do the ipconfig /release and /renew once its connected back and you'll be back behind the router =)

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 gakor

gakor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:08 PM

Okay, so I'm currently on PC-A with the above described setup. It was a pain to get everything moved, but anyways...
When I type in ipconfig /release, I get the following error:

Windows IP Configuration

An error occured when releasing interface Local Area Connection : The RPC server is unavailable.

I get the same error when trying to /renew.

As far as speed and everything goes, its just as slow. It took me forever just to get to this page.

I know for sure that its not the port. I already checked that - also, there isn't really a logical reason that I can see for it to be the port. It was fine a few days ago, why would a different modem being plugged into the router change the port?
Same goes with the router just not liking this PC. They got along fine, and as far as I know they haven't gotten into any arguments.

As far as the RPC server goes,
I checked my service list and the RPC Server is set to automatic and it is running.

I'm not sure where to go from here.

Also, thanks for your answers. Both of them. :thumbsup:

EDIT:
Okay, its now maybe 2 hours after I origionally posted this message.
I left everything the way it was [connected to PC-A directly] because it was all a big pain to move and I didn't want to connect it back to the router.
I came back to the computer and clicked refresh - and I got 'problem 1' again. I clicked refresh and nothing happened - it instantly said "Done."
When I tried opening up a new browser, it stayed white and it said ddone.
My IP in 'ipconfig' was 0.0.0.0

I am now back to the origional setup and I am on the PC that I origionally posted all of this with.
Even though PC-A is back on the network, it can't connect to the internet at all anymore.
The connection speed is still 100 Mbps, I can still access the network from it/to it.
I'm.... completely lost. What the hell?

Edited by gakor, 04 September 2009 - 05:39 PM.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:29 PM

How was it a pain? Its 2 wires unplug 1 and replace it with the other. lol

You connected PC-A directly to the modem and when you did a ipconfig /release - /renew - you got an error? The modem should have given you an address right away.

I have a feeling it wasn't connected to the modem correctly. What is the make and model of your modem?

As far as the ports, the physical ports on the back of the router, they can and do go bad sometimes.

#7 gakor

gakor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:29 PM

It's a pain because the router is outside, and my home network wires are all over the place. They go along the walls outside and through the walls inside - its a wired connection and all the PCs are in different rooms. Moving the modem meant taking it from the outside, grabbing extension cables so it can have power near PC-A and also reach a cabel outlet, etc.

Yes, I connected it to PC-A and thats the error I got. I tried multiple times.
After about 2 hours, the problem I explained in my EDIT ...happend.

Whats there not to connect properly?
Power was in. Cable was in. Ethernet was connected to the ethernet. I had internet for a while.

I meant the physical ports, too. And I did change ports to check if that was the issue before I started this thread.

Any ideas?

Edited by gakor, 04 September 2009 - 09:30 PM.

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:21 PM

Ok not sure why you moved your modem but when you were connected to the modem, did you try surfing? was it faster or the same?

#9 gakor

gakor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:25 PM

Ugh...

The modem was moved because of my somewhat complicated setup, plus the fact that I'm partially retarded. I now realize that I could have done all of that in a much, much simpler way, but thats not important.

Your second question has already been answered.

As far as speed and everything goes, its just as slow. It took me forever just to get to this page.

and then...

kay, its now maybe 2 hours after I origionally posted this message.
I left everything the way it was [connected to PC-A directly] because it was all a big pain to move and I didn't want to connect it back to the router.
I came back to the computer and clicked refresh - and I got 'problem 1' again. I clicked refresh and nothing happened - it instantly said "Done."
When I tried opening up a new browser, it stayed white and it said ddone.
My IP in 'ipconfig' was 0.0.0.0

Even though PC-A is back on the network, it can't connect to the internet at all anymore.
The connection speed is still 100 Mbps, I can still access the network from it/to it.
I'm.... completely lost. What the hell?

EDIT:

Okay, and again, PC-A can access the internet.
Nothing changed since I last updated - I just decided to check again [its still connected to the router].
STill superslow, network still fine, but its back on the net. Seems it got assigned an IP - why would it take so long?

Edited by gakor, 04 September 2009 - 10:37 PM.

#10 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 01:29 AM

About the second question - Sorry I did read that then had a brain fart or something lol

Well if you are just as slow connected to the modem as you are the router then there is something wrong with your PC. Specially if the other 2 PCs speed is just fine.

Lets start with something easy.

Open a command prompt window and type netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt and hit Enter. Then reboot your PC. This will rebuild your TCP/IP stack. See if you are still slow. If it fixes your issue WOOT!

If not, I would first find what NIC you have, can find that from Device manager. I'd then search the net for drivers and download them. Then I would uninstall the NIC from Device manager, look in Add/Remove programs for anything that has to do with your NIC and uninstall if there is. Reboot and install the new drivers. Drivers normally come in 1 of few ways normally they come in a zip file: 1) Executable zip - dbl click it and it unzips and runs a setup. 2) Normal zip that you unzip and run the Setup yourself. 3) Normal zip that you unzip and there is a folder with your OS and inside it is either a setup or just an inf file - run the setup or direct the driver install to the INF file.

And sorry you went through all that trouble. My modem and router and like 2 inches apart =)

#11 gakor

gakor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 04:38 PM

Sorry for the late reply.

Unfortunately the cmd did nothing to help.

About the NIC - do you mean my network adapter?
If so, it appears that I already have the latest driver installed. :/

Edited by gakor, 06 September 2009 - 04:44 PM.

#12 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:28 AM

NIC = Network Interface Card or Network Adapter

Even if you have the latest drivers, uninstall and reinstall them from a fresh download.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users