Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dead MoBo?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 AndrewGS

AndrewGS

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:29 PM

My aunt's computer (HP Pavilion a1514n) recently died and I'm Dr. Frankenstein.

She told me that while she was last using it the fans were running loudly and it wouldn't power down, so she finally unplugged it. I was also informed that the room the computer was in had been quite hot as the A/C had been turned off for several days while she had been away.

After trying the obvious (plugging it in and pushing the power button) to no avail I popped the case cover off to find enough dust to warrant the use of a shovel. I thoroughly cleaned it out and tried to power it on again, but it was a no go. The only signs of power were the green light on the power supply and the blue backlight of the power button. I then tested the power supply and it's within spec at all connections. I don't have a POST card to test any further, but if nothing is powering up I would think that it would be useless anyways.

Does this sound like it's definitely the motherboard?

I've also never replaced a MoBo before and was wondering if I replace it with the OEM part will there be any changes needed to the BIOS?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users