Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quarentined files

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kamerlet

kamerlet

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 03 September 2009 - 05:42 PM

What should one do with the quarantined files after a scan?

Edited by kamerlet, 03 September 2009 - 05:43 PM.

If Jimmy cracks corn and nobody cares, why did they write a song about him?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tug

tug

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:31 PM

Well I use AVG 8.5 free and MBAM so when any of those quarentines a file I check to make sure its not a false positive by posting on the forum and if it is I remove it back to my computer and if it is not then I ask for help to make sure that what ever it found is completely gone after deleting it from the quarentine on a forum like this.

#3 kamerlet

kamerlet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:43 PM

I guess I should have asked, is it ok to delete them after they have been quarantined?
If Jimmy cracks corn and nobody cares, why did they write a song about him?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:18 PM

When an anti-virus or security program quarantines a file by moving it into a virus vault (chest), that file is essentially disabled and prevented from causing any harm to your system. The quarantined file is safely held there and no longer a threat until you take action to delete it. One reason for doing this is to prevent deletion of a crucial file that may have been flagged as a "false positive" especially if the scanner uses heuristic analysis technology. Heuristics is the ability of a scanning program to detect possible new variants of malware before the vendor can get samples and update the program's definitions for detection. Heuristics uses non-specific detection methods to find new or unknown malware which allows the anti-virus to detect and stop if before doing any harm to your system. The disadvantage to using heuristics is that it is not as reliable as signature-based detection (blacklisting) and can potentially increase the chances that a non-malicious program is flagged as suspicious or infected. If that is the case, then you can restore the file and add it to the exclusion or ignore list. Doing this also allows you to view and investigate the files while keeping them from harming your computer. Quarantine is just an added safety measure. When the quarantined file is known to be malicious, you can delete it at any time.

Keep in mind, however, that if these files are left in quarantine, other scanning programs and security tools may flag them as a threat while in the quarantined area so don't be alarmed if you see such an alert. Just delete the quarantined items and subsequent scans should no longer detect them.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users