Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No drives, No networking, No sound, motherboard??

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 awhispersecho

awhispersecho

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 03 September 2009 - 04:39 PM

Windows XP Pro, SP 2
intel core 2 duo
3 gig DDR

Hello everyone. Well, about a week ago we had a storm. Did not lose power but computer was affected. Went in room, blank screen, rebooted computer. Computer was taking forever to boot once it got to my desktop. After a few tries, I unhooked all usb devices and it booted up. Seemed ok but I did not rehook my printer etc. Realized that my lan connection was gone. Was a yellow warning next to my NIC in device mag=nager along with an error about the device not being able to work. Everything else seemed fine so I went and bought a NIC. I then decided to check things further before I installed the new card and that's when I realized that I have no usb or memory card drives showing up in my computer. None of them respond when I out anything in. I then found out I have no longer have sound either. Says it cannot play file due to there being no sound device or something along those lines. I also found it that my cd/dvd drive will not play anything either though it does show up as a listed drive under my computer. My hard drive seems fine. I have not lost any files, folders or anything from it. I just have no other drives, no sound and no way to get online or back anything up. So...where do I go from here. Is it my motherboard, is it something else. Is it everything? What do you recommend and how do I do whatever it is you recommend. Is there a way I can still get some things off this computer atleast. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:12 PM

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (space between k and /) and hit Enter. Type Y in response to onscreen query and hit Enter. Reboot the system.

Chkdsk /r command will execute and boot into XP when done.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 September 2009 - 07:14 PM.

#3 awhispersecho

awhispersecho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:50 PM

O.K. I did that. It ran through everything and rebooted. Everything looks the same. I still have all my files but no drives other that C, D, and dvd drive. What now?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:06 PM

Remove the USB controllers (all of them) in Device Manager...reboot and let them reinstall.

Louis

#5 awhispersecho

awhispersecho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:45 PM

O.K. I just want to make sure before I do anything. I have 5 ICH8 family universal controllers, 2 ICH8 family enhanced controllers and then 7 usb root hubs. Do I uninstall the hubs as well or just the controllers? Thanks.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 05:34 PM

Controllers are the important items, the hubs are the ports (which are controlled by the...controllers:)).

I don't know what ICH8 controllers are, but I doubt if they are listed under the USB category in Device Manager.

I see that this is something that pops up on Intel chipsets and I haven't had an Intel chipset since 1997 or so, http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/313056.pdf

As I stated, the USB controllers. The enhanced controller is the one indicating USB 2.0 support.

Louis

#7 awhispersecho

awhispersecho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:49 AM

Good morning. I was only able to uninstall the 1st 3 usb controllers. The other 4 including the 2 enhanced controllers would not uninstall. Device manager kept freezing everytime I hit "ok" to uninstall. After repeated attempts, I finally just rebooted the computer. The 1st 3 that I did uninstall have now reappeared in the list. What next?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:15 AM

I'd say that you have a USB problem.

Although I can remove my controllers anytime...I don't have active USB devices attached when I do so. Try removing or turning off any active USB devices before trying to remove them.

The controllers are supposed to reinstall automatically when the system is booted.

Louis

#9 awhispersecho

awhispersecho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:06 PM

As I said in my original post. I have unhooked all usb devices because that was the only way to get it to boot. The ones I uninstalled did reinstall themselves. I just wasn't able to uninstall the other ones. That also leaves me with the my probems with the memory card reader, the sound, and the disk drive. I wait for instructions. Thanks

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 02:12 PM

To solve your USB situation...I suggest buying a USB 2.0 PCI card and installing it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;Order=PRICE

As you can see, they are not expensive and they provide functionality when onboard USB develops problems.

I don't know anything about memory card readers...but if it has drivers, I would suspect that they are damaged and you need to uninstall the current ones...then reinstall the drivers.

Ditto for your sound.

Although none of your hardware may have been impacted by the storm you mentioned...it's not uncommon for drivers to become damaged where the hardware is not. Because the drivers are necessary to have the functionality...the typical thing to try is uninstalling the drivers in XP for said devices, rebooting and reinstalling the drivers.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users