Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SimpleTech 250gb SimpleDrive not being recognized

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 gossipgirl

gossipgirl

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:37 PM

Hi there

So I have a 250gb SimpleDrive external hard drive, bought around April 2008. I have a pretty old XP computer that was rapidly running out of space, so the hard drive was bought to move our photos, music, etc over. We moved them over, and then deleted them from our computer... We should've backed up the files somewhere else more regularly, but we didn't, and so many of our files were only located on this external hard drive.

A few days ago, I disconnected the drive from the computer and connected it to my new laptop in order to move some photos over to it. I then unplugged it and reconnected it to the desktop. I should've checked to make sure the files were all still intact on the drive but didn't. Today I used the internet for a bit and then left the computer on. My sister tried to access the drive, and all of the folders were there but none of the files were in them. An error message bubble in the corner then came up saying...

"Windows- Delayed Write Failure : Windows was unable to save all the data for the file F:\ $Mft. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection . Please try to save this data elsewhere."

I then restarted the computer, and the harddrive is not showing up at all in My Computer, both on my laptop and desktop... A few times it has shown up in the device manager, but I cant access it... It was also making a clicking sound... which I know is a bad sign. That error message showed up another time too. Now it isn't clicking or anything and is just making the regular sounds, but is still not being recognized at all..

Is there anything at all I can do??? Is my data gone?? Any help is greatly appreciated. I have seen solutions on the internet about turning over write caching or something, but I can't do this because the drive is not showing up at all now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:29 PM

Take a look in Disk Management and see if the drive is reflected there.

The problem with these external drives (IMO)...is that attaching one (rather than just adding a drive internally) increases the number of things that can go wrong. The hard drive itself...the power supply for the drive...the connections for the drive/the enclosure...and a problem with either of those things causes a loss of functionality.

Not to mention your USB ports...

I would try attaching the drive to a different system, first.

If it works on that system, but not on yours...we can figure that out.

If it doesn't appear/perform properly on a different system, I would suspect that it's time to start thinking "data recovery software".

Louis

#3 gossipgirl

gossipgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2009 - 04:06 PM

I've checked in disk management and it doesn't show up.

And like I said, I tried attaching it to my laptop and there are the same problems..

Data recovery software would probably be a good idea... but I've tried using Recuva and to use it you have to be able to select the drive, which I can't because it's not being recognized or whatever... Are there any data recovery programs that will work if the drive isn't recognize? :s

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2009 - 04:39 PM

Well...if the problem is not the drive itself...then no recovery software nor XP will detect it.

If the enclosure is the problem or your USB ports are the problem or the power supply for the enclosure is the problem...nothing will detect a drive requiring a USB connection.

My suggestion would be to remove the actual hard drive from the enclosure...attach same directly to the system...and see if it's properly recognized.

Louis

#5 gossipgirl

gossipgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2009 - 05:02 PM

Well...if the problem is not the drive itself...then no recovery software nor XP will detect it.

If the enclosure is the problem or your USB ports are the problem or the power supply for the enclosure is the problem...nothing will detect a drive requiring a USB connection.

My suggestion would be to remove the actual hard drive from the enclosure...attach same directly to the system...and see if it's properly recognized.

Louis

What do you mean by "if the problem is not the drive itself"? How do you know that? Sorry, I don't know much about this..

And I don't think it's the usb ports, as it doesn't work on two different systems..

I don't think I have enough technical knowledge to actually remove the harddrive. :thumbsup: Do you think if I took to somewhere that does data recovery, like Geek Squad at Best Buy, they'd be able to recover the data?

#6 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 03 September 2009 - 05:20 PM

hey, I had this similar problem a while back - It would seem i am allergic to technology -
I think with this, if you REALLY need the data back, you may have to get someone professional to revocer the data, and put it all onto CD's for you.
I may need to do the same thing it looks like...
Good luck, I hope there is another alternative

#7 gossipgirl

gossipgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2009 - 05:34 PM

hey, I had this similar problem a while back - It would seem i am allergic to technology -
I think with this, if you REALLY need the data back, you may have to get someone professional to revocer the data, and put it all onto CD's for you.
I may need to do the same thing it looks like...
Good luck, I hope there is another alternative

I just looked at your post; yeah, the same thing was happening to me earlier.. I could 'safely remove hardware' and see it in disk management but not actually access it. :thumbsup: Now not even that is happening.

Good luck

#8 gossipgirl

gossipgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:17 PM

I never realized how expensive data recovery is... $1249 at Staples, who sends it to Seagate. Wow.

Is this the type of situation where putting in the freezer could potentially work? Only half joking. :thumbsup:

#9 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 03:54 AM

Thats a bit mental. I found data recovery STARTING at around 96 GBP, no not sure what it will go UP to.
I;m getting more tempted by the freezer every passing minute :thumbsup:

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:34 AM

There are two types of failures a hard drive of any kind can experience.

One is read\write. This happens when the surface of the disk becomes damaged in some way. Data recovery software may be helpful in this type of failure.

The other is a mechanical failure. These come in two flavors.
1) Head crash. This is when the arm(s) (think of an old record player) that the read\write head(s) (think of the needle and where it mounts at the end of the arm of a record player) becomes misaligned and can no longer traverse the disk(s) in the proper way.

Most hard drives have multiple disk, arms,heads. These are stacked one on top of the other with minimal tolerances\space between them. Does not take much of a bump to cause problems.

2)The disk(s) no longer spin-up. (just like the turntable of an old record player). Depending on the type of hard drive the disks spin at anywhere from 4800-5200-7400-10,000 and up to 15,000 RPM.

The 2 types of mechanical failures usually require that the disks be removed from the bad hard drive and placed into a working hard drive case. While it is a bit of a time consuming procedure and should be done in a "clean" totally static free environment (I do`t think any of the big retailers mentioned have this type of facility) that is the reason for the BIG $$$$.

Data recovery service`s are usually aimed at Big business that has a catastrophic server crash or something along those lines.

#11 gossipgirl

gossipgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:02 AM

There are two types of failures a hard drive of any kind can experience.

One is read\write. This happens when the surface of the disk becomes damaged in some way. Data recovery software may be helpful in this type of failure.

The other is a mechanical failure. These come in two flavors.
1) Head crash. This is when the arm(s) (think of an old record player) that the read\write head(s) (think of the needle and where it mounts at the end of the arm of a record player) becomes misaligned and can no longer traverse the disk(s) in the proper way.

Most hard drives have multiple disk, arms,heads. These are stacked one on top of the other with minimal tolerances\space between them. Does not take much of a bump to cause problems.

2)The disk(s) no longer spin-up. (just like the turntable of an old record player). Depending on the type of hard drive the disks spin at anywhere from 4800-5200-7400-10,000 and up to 15,000 RPM.

The 2 types of mechanical failures usually require that the disks be removed from the bad hard drive and placed into a working hard drive case. While it is a bit of a time consuming procedure and should be done in a "clean" totally static free environment (I do`t think any of the big retailers mentioned have this type of facility) that is the reason for the BIG $$$$.

Data recovery service`s are usually aimed at Big business that has a catastrophic server crash or something along those lines.

Thanks for the info. So is there anything else I can do at this point? Could I get like an empty external hard drive case or something and put the hard drive in that?

#12 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:07 AM

Hello,
If you were thinking of a data recovery service thing, You should probably forget it - unless you around 800 Pounds to spend.
i just got a quote on my 300GB drive. this means Yours would be even more expensive as it is 500GB.
Sorry to break the news...

Edited by brooksey!!!, 04 September 2009 - 09:10 AM.

#13 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:59 AM

Thanks for the info. So is there anything else I can do at this point? Could I get like an empty external hard drive case or something and put the hard drive in that?

The type of hard drive case I am talking about is basically identical to the actual case that the disks are enclosed in and "We" the PC user purchases to install in our PCs for additional storage space.

These cases have the motor to spin the disks and the head(s) to read the disks. Beyond that I am sure there are differences as well as other forms of equipment that may be used. I would imagine any of the need`d hardware can be purchased but would be very cost prohibitive for the average user.

#14 gossipgirl

gossipgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:55 PM

Do you think using the "freezer method" could help at all?

Edited by gossipgirl, 04 September 2009 - 10:56 PM.

#15 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:12 PM

I`m not convinced it is a mechanical failure, yet......

Assuming you have plugged and unplugged the external drive in to every USB port available many times in an attempt to get it to work.
Instead, please try this.
First be sure to disconnect the external drive in question.
When you install a device driver on a Windows XP\Vista machine, the operating system loads that driver each time the computer boots regardless of whether the device is present unless you specifically uninstall the driver. This means that drivers from devices that you have long since removed from your system may be wasting valuable system resources.

Follow these steps to view and remove these unnecessary device drivers:

1. Press [Windows]+[Break] to bring up the System Properties dialog box.
2. Select the Advanced tab and click the Environment Variables button.
3. Click the New button below the System Variables panel.
4. In the New System Variable dialog box, type devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices in the Variable Name text box and 1 in the Variable Value text box.
5. Click OK to return to the System Properties dialog box and then click OK again.
6. Select the Hardware tab and click the Device Manager button.
7. In Device Manager, go to View | Show Hidden Devices.
8. Expand the various branches in the device tree and look for the washed out icons, which indicate unused device drivers.
9. To remove an unused device driver, right-click the icon and select Uninstall.

WARNING:DO NOT uninstall any drivers in the Network adapters or Sound, video and game controllers category`s.

You will be concentrating mainly on the category`s of "Disk drives", Storage devices and Universal Serial Bus controller.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users