Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I have to buy a new copy..

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mozzer11

mozzer11

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 22 July 2005 - 01:29 PM

I bought a new HardDrive for my computer, I want to know if I can use the XP disc that came with my old computer or do I have to buy a new copy? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2005 - 01:48 PM

You can use the serial imprinted on the label wich is on the bottom or side of your computer.

If the serial is no longer available for use, you call the microsoft activate xp hotline and theyll provide you with a code.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2005 - 02:01 PM

You use the old license (Windows XP Key) which you may have to have revalidated through Microsoft.
Unless you have the full operating system install disc or you are going to migrate a ghost image of your old drive to your new one (software to accomplish that should have come with the new HD), you may have to purchase another copy of the op system cd disc from Microsoft (disc only - not the license which you already own)

You may not even need to have XP revalidated for your copy of windows because I think it takes changing three major components at one time for the revalidation requirement to take place.

Edited by Enthusiast, 22 July 2005 - 02:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users