Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New wireless router causing variety of internet loading problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rivndellelf

Rivndellelf

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:07 AM

My fiancÚ and I just decided to hookup a wireless network. For the first few days (until we got our wireless adapters in the mail), the wireless router was in our office upstairs, and both of our computers were still connected to it via ethernet cables. While using the internet, everything would be fine, but then all of a sudden no pages would load for 5 minutes or so. Then everything would suddenly start working again. Well, it's a little more complicated than that, I guess... I would be using Firefox to do some work online, and the sites I was trying to look at wouldn't load but the online interface for where I work would continue to update just fine (chat room would keep going, questions would keep coming up, etc.). I don't know if the other computer was having this problem really because my fiancÚ wasn't at home & using his computer that much during that time. (I have to use Firefox to do stuff for work, but I checked and Internet Explorer was having the same problem with loading websites at those times.)

Yesterday we got our wireless adapters in the mail, so we hooked them up and made sure we could connect to the internet. We didn't go to many pages or anything, just made sure that it would load our home pages. Everything seemed okay, so we went ahead and moved our router downstairs to our living room (we wanted to connect our xbox 360 via ethernet cable). We still have signal up here of around 65-80%, so that's still pretty good. Sometimes we still have the issue where we can't connect to the internet for several minutes. However, we also are having a couple more problems now. On my computer, many times when I try to go to various pages, it comes up and says "Internet explorer cannot display the webpage." But it only does this AFTER it actually loads the page. I'll see the loaded page for a split second, and then it will re-route me to the error page. Sometimes if I load the page four or five times, it will go to the actual page instead of the error page. Sometimes if I push the back button, it will go to the actual page. Sometimes it just gives me the error page over and over and over. Other times, I will go to the same sites, and they will load just fine. I really don't get it.

My fiancÚ's computer on the other hand is having trouble loading images now, as well as any sort of Flash items and things like that. We were trying to do something on the Xbox Live webpage yesterday, but his computer wasn't loading the main part of the page (and mine was refusing to connect at all at that point) so we ended up having to look it up on our iPod touches.

In the past 24 hours, I've really just wanted to pitch it all out the window. Anyone have any idea how to solve any of these problems? The router is a Belkin N, if that helps anyone. I tried looking on their support page, but there was definitely no troubleshooting for anything like this. Any help anyone could give us would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Rivndellelf, 03 September 2009 - 10:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:15 AM

Since you decided to try wireless I am assuming that your last router wasn't wireless. What was the make and model?

What is the model of your new Belkin?

I am also assuming this started when you got the new router? Meaning you surfed just fine with the old router.

Have you tried reconnecting the old router to see if you have the issues?

What version of windows is on both computers?

Besides the router, has anything been installed or updated on the PCs?

Does the Xbox have any issues when connected to Xbox Live?

And I know PC issues are very frustrating. You just want the "stupid" thing to work lol. But hang in there and we'll see about getting it straightened out.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Rivndellelf

Rivndellelf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2009 - 12:12 PM

My last router was indeed a wired router. It was a Dynex DX-E402. Everything worked just fine with it. I haven't tried reconnecting to it because my cable modem is hooked up downstairs now with the new router, and I didn't want to have to try to crawl behind my TV and unhook everything again to bring it back up to my office, when I just got it set up in the first place. If it comes down to it, obviously I can do that, I just haven't tried it yet.

My Belkin router is the N F5D8236-4 V2.

Both computers are running Vista Home Premium 32-bit. Nothing else has been installed or updated on either computer (when this started). My fiancÚ installed some Windows updates today, but the problems were already happening at that point.

The Xbox seems to be having the same issues as we did when our computers were wired to the router. It'll work fine for a while, and then it will randomly come up and say that it cannot connect to the internet. Give it a few minutes, and it works fine again. It's almost like a dropped signal, but it shouldn't really do that on the wired connection, should it?

Edited by Rivndellelf, 03 September 2009 - 12:14 PM.

#4 Rivndellelf

Rivndellelf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2009 - 12:29 PM

Another thing that might help:

I opened the utility for my wireless internet adapter. It tells me that about 38,000 files have been transmitted successfully and about 36,000 have been transmitted successfully after retry(s). Then it also says that about 45,000 frames have been received successfully, while about 100,000 have been received with CRC error.

I don't really know what any of that means, but it seems bad that two-thirds of the frames received have been received with some sort of error. I don't know if that gives any clues about what's wrong, but I just thought I'd toss it out there.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2009 - 12:51 PM

No it should not be happening. You might have gotten a bad router. If it were just the PCs then it might be something between Vista and the new router. But since the Xbox does the same I am leaning towards a bad router. If you bought it locally and have the receipt, I'd take it back and get a replacement. Maybe a different model. Before you do that one more question:

What are the make(s) and model(s) of the wireless adapters you bought for the PCs?

You want to make sure you get a router that is compatible with the adapters you have.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 Rivndellelf

Rivndellelf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:45 PM

Our network adapters are made by Encore, model Enuwi-N. We bought them off Newegg because they were pretty well reviewed, the best out of the ones we were looking at and in our price range, anyway.

I found some more reviews on our router today and one that I read said they had seen several places that this particular router has issues with connecting to Comcast modems. I don't know how true that is, but it's always a possibility, I suppose. I am definitely thinking about taking it back and getting a different router. I just don't know which one to get because all of them are reviewed pretty much the same--lots of people saying it's great, and lots of people saying it's not. Who knows what to believe? I guess if one of them doesn't work, I'll take it back and trade it out again. Lol...

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:38 PM

Honestly its a crap shoot no matter what brand or model you get. Anyone can get a bad router from any manufacture. But if it was fine on the old router, nothing changed but the router and you started having issues on both PCs and the Xbox.....that leads me to believe its the router. Now IF you take it back and get another same make and model AND it still does it then its time to pick a new brand lol.

#8 Rivndellelf

Rivndellelf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:36 AM

Well, I took it back, and got a Netgear router instead. That definitely cleared up the connection problems. Windows Update came up with an updated driver for our network adapters (even though the company's website showed that our current driver was the most recent one... ?) and that fixed my problem with IE going to the error page after loading the real page and my fiancÚ's problem with images not loading. All in all, everything seems to be working pretty well right now. Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users