Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezes in game, XP, Geforce 7600GT, PixelShader 2.0

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 HenkBakker

HenkBakker

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:33 AM

Hi, I have a returning problem with my computer and would really appreciate your help. I think itís a save bet to say it has to do with my videocard.

Whenever I try to play Civilization 4 or The Sims 3 on my computer, (I meet all the required specs) it freezes randomly in the same way with both games. Sometimes it freezes right away when I enter the game (not in game menu) and sometimes not after 2 hours. When it freezes the screen freezes and it gets a bit scrambled. After a few seconds I can move the cursor but I canít click anything. The only way to get out of the freeze is by turning the computer off.

The only similarity I found between the games is that they both use PixelShader 2.0. But I donít know if that could be the problem.
I hope you have some suggestions

My sytem specs are:
Intel Pentium Celeron D CPU 3,2 Ghz
1,50 GB RAM
Nvidia Geforce 7600GT (AGP, 512 RAM)

Iíve tried so far:

1. Install / reinstall game

2. Change in-game quality

3. Install/update new drivers, I appears that the Omega drivers work the best. Also updated motherboard, DirectX etc.

4. Monitor temperature, idle around 50 degrees Celsius. The game however also crashes at low temp, i.e. 60 degrees.

5. Cleaned out the entire computer, took the RAM out and put it in again, took the videocard out and put it in again.

6. Run several diagnostic programs, no apparent problems

I would really appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Henk

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:06 AM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer!

How long have you been experiencing this problem? Did you make any change to your computer before the problem started occurring?

If you have multiple sticks of ram, I would try one at a time and see if you still have the same problem. You can run memtest too memtest.org
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users