Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

infected by skynet and fake antivirus spyware

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 szlya

szlya

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:19 AM

hi, i've been checking out different posts in this forum and decided it's time to post for the first...

abt 3 weeks ago... my pc was attacked by windows antivirus pro... at that time i only have symantec antivirus corporate edition installed... so i downloaded malwarebytes to clean up my pc... which it scanned and removed windows antivirus pro... but this spyware kept on coming back after i rebooted and connected to the internet... i then downloaded spybot and ran it several times with immunization... since then my pc is kind of back to normal... at least i could use the internet without anymore fake antivirus program popups...

but i know my pc is not free of spyware/virus yet because i run at least one of spybot... malwarebyte or symantec every time when i turn on my pc... and it always show some kind of virus inflection... the one shows up most often is skynet (which redirect me to unknown websites when i clicked on the search engine results of "how to remove skynet") and other fake antivirus program in my registry...

it seems like the 3 programs + windows firewall are not enough to clean up my pc and avoid further inflection...

please kindly advise what i can do to fix my pc without formatting it...

thanks a million!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:59 PM

Please post the results of your MBAM scan for review.

To retrieve the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan log information, launch MBAM.
  • Click the Logs Tab at the top.
    • The log will be named by the date of scan in the following format: mbam-log-date(time).txt
      -- If you have previously used MBAM, there may be several logs showing in the list.
  • Click on the log name to highlight it.
  • Go to the bottom and click on Open.
  • The log should automatically open in notepad as a text file.
  • Go to Edit and choose Select all.
  • Go back to Edit and choose Copy or right-click on the highlighted text and choose copy from there.
  • Come back to this thread, click Add Reply, then right-click and choose Paste.
  • Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Logs are saved to the following locations:
-- In XP: C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs
-- In Vista: C:\Documents and Settings\Users\All Users\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

Please download Sophos Anti-rootkit & save it to your desktop.
alternate download link
Note: If using the vendor's download site you will be asked to register with MySophos so an email containing an activation link can be sent to your email address.

Be sure to print out and read the Sophos Anti-Rookit User Manual and Release Notes.
  • Double-click sar_15_sfx.exe to begin the installation, read the license agreement and click Accept.
  • Allow the default location of C:\Program Files\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Rootkit and click Install.
  • A message will appear "Sophos Anti-Rootkit was successfully installed. Click 'yes' to start it now".
  • Click Yes and allow the driver and its randomly named .tmp file (i.e. F.tmp) to load if asked.
  • If the scan did not start automatically, make sure the following are checked:
    • Running processes
    • Windows Registry
    • Local Hard Drives
  • Click Start scan.
  • Sophos Anti-Rootkit will scan the selected areas and display any suspicious files in the upper panel.
  • When the scan is complete, a pop-up screen will appear with "Rootkit Scan Results". Click OK to continue.
  • Click on the suspicious file to display more information about it in the lower panel which also includes whether the item is recommended for removal.
    • Files tagged as Removable: No are not marked for removal and cannot be removed.
    • Files tagged as Removable: Yes (clean up recommended) are marked for removal by default.
    • Files tagged as Removable: Yes (but clean up not recommended) are not marked for removal because Sophos did not recognize them. These files will require further investigation.
  • Select only items recommended for removal, then click "Clean up checked items". You will be asked to confirm, click Yes.
  • A pop up window will appear advising the cleanup will finish when you restart your computer. Click Restart Now.
  • After reboot, a dialog box displays the files you selected for removal and the action taken.
  • Click Empty list and then click Continue to re-scan your computer a second time to ensure everything was cleaned.
  • When done, go to Start > Run and type or copy/paste: %temp%\sarscan.log
  • This should open the log from the rootkit scan. Please post this log in your next reply. If you have a problem, you can find sarscan.log in C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temp\.
Important: Before performing an ARK scan it is recommended to do the following to ensure more accurate results and avoid common issues that may cause false detections.
  • Disconnect from the Internet or physically unplug you Internet cable connection.
  • Clean out your temporary files.
  • Close all open programs, scheduling/updating tasks and background processes that might activate during the scan including the screensaver.
  • Temporarily disable your anti-virus and real-time anti-spyware protection.
  • After starting the scan, do not use the computer until the scan has completed.
  • When finished, re-enable your anti-virus/anti-malware (or reboot) and then you can reconnect to the Internet.
Note: Not all hidden components detected by ARKs are malicious. It is normal for a Firewall, some Anti-virus and Anti-malware software (ProcessGuard, Prevx1, AVG AS), sandboxes, virtual machines and Host based Intrusion Prevention Systems (HIPS) to hook into the OS kernal/SSDT in order to protect your system. SSDT (System Service Descriptor Table) is a table that stores addresses of functions that are used by Windows. Both Legitimate programs and rootkits can hook into and alter this table. You should not be alarmed if you see any hidden entries created by legitimate programs after performing a scan.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 szlya

szlya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 02:52 AM

it has gotten worse... my pc got infected by the "police pro"... spybot was removing some other things when i was doing the scan last nite... and after i rebooted... spybot scanned my pc again but then that "police pro" thingy came up... somehow my pc frozen and i had to shut it down by cutting off power...

so tonight i turn on my pc... that "police pro" thing pop up as expected... and i cannot run malwarebytes... spybot... anything... in fact... all the programs on startup cannot be run and tons of error messages keep popping up... i am running my pc on safe mode now... but still cannot open malwarebytes or spybot... i can open symantec though and it's now doing a scan...

what should i do now? :thumbsup:

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:44 AM

Please download Win32kDiag.exe by AD and save it to your desktop.
alternate download 1
alternate download 2
  • This tool will create a diagnostic report for me to review.
  • Double-click on Win32kDiag.exe to run and let it finish.
  • When it states Finished! Press any key to exit..., press any key on your keyboard to close the program.
  • A file called Win32kDiag.txt should be created on your Desktop.
  • Open that file in Notepad and copy/paste the contents in your next reply.
Go to go to Posted Image > Run..., then copy and paste this command into the open box: cmd
press OK.
At the command prompt C:\>, copy and paste the following command and press Enter:
DIR /a/s %windir%\scecli.dll %windir%\netlogon.dll %windir%\ntelogon.dll >Log.txt & START notepad Log.txt
A file called log.txt should be created on your Desktop.
Open that file and copy/paste the contents in your next reply.

#5 szlya

szlya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 01:41 AM

log file from Win32kDiag... but it seems like the log file fails to contain any information...

==========================
Log file is located at: C:\Documents and Settings\Cc Leung\Desktop\Win32kDiag.txt

WARNING: Could not get backup privileges!

Searching 'C:\WINDOWS'...

Finished!

log file created from "cmd"

Volume in drive C is Poesia
Volume Serial Number is 2CE3-1477

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB968389\SP2QFE

02/06/2009 11:46 AM 408,064 netlogon.dll
1 File(s) 408,064 bytes

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386

08/04/2004 12:56 AM 180,224 scecli.dll

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386

08/04/2004 12:56 AM 407,040 netlogon.dll
2 File(s) 587,264 bytes

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\9866fb57abdc0ea2f5d4e132d055ba4e

04/13/2008 05:12 PM 181,248 scecli.dll

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\9866fb57abdc0ea2f5d4e132d055ba4e

04/13/2008 05:12 PM 407,040 netlogon.dll
2 File(s) 588,288 bytes

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

08/04/2004 12:56 AM 180,224 scecli.dll

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

08/04/2004 12:56 AM 407,040 netlogon.dll
2 File(s) 587,264 bytes

Total Files Listed:
7 File(s) 2,170,880 bytes
0 Dir(s) 40,350,478,336 bytes free

#6 szlya

szlya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 01:47 AM

this is the log file from malwarebytes before my pc is infected by windows police pro...

thanks!!!

====================
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.40
Database version: 2651
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

9/3/2009 12:36:48 AM
mbam-log-2009-09-03 (00-36-48).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 109774
Time elapsed: 8 minute(s), 19 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 8
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 2

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\spybotdeletingb5419 (Trojan.TDSS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\spybotdeletingd9916 (Trojan.TDSS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\spybotdeletinga4422 (Trojan.TDSS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\spybotdeletingc2642 (Trojan.TDSS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\spybotdeletingb159 (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\spybotdeletingd9343 (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\spybotdeletinga146 (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\spybotdeletingc6611 (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\SKYNETbwupkcxd.sys (Trojan.TDSS) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SKYNETlog.dat (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:57 AM

IMPORTANT NOTE: One or more of the identified infections (SKYNETbwupkcxd.sys) is related to a nasty variant of the TDSSSERV rootkit component. Rootkits, backdoor Trojans, Botnets, and IRCBots are very dangerous because they compromise system integrity by making changes that allow it to by used by the attacker for malicious purposes. Rootkits are used by Trojans to conceal its presence (hide from view) in order to prevent detection of an attacker's software and make removal more difficult. Many rootkits can hook into the Windows 32-bit kernel, and patch several APIs to hide new registry keys and files they install. They can disable your anti-virus and security tools to prevent detection and removal. Remote attackers use backdoors as a means of accessing and taking control of a computer that bypasses security mechanisms. This type of exploit allows them to steal sensitive information like passwords, personal and financial data which is send back to the hacker. To learn more about these types of infections, you can refer to:If your computer was used for online banking, has credit card information or other sensitive data on it, you should stay disconnected from the Internet until your system is fully cleaned. All passwords should be changed immediately to include those used for banking, email, eBay, paypal and online forums. You should consider them to be compromised and change each password using a clean computer, not the infected one. If not, an attacker may get the new passwords and transaction information. If using a router, you need to reset it with a strong logon/password so the malware cannot gain control before connect again. Banking and credit card institutions should be notified of the possible security breach. Because your computer was compromised please read:Although the infection has been identified and may be removed, your PC has likely been compromised and there is no way to be sure the computer can ever be trusted again. It is dangerous and incorrect to assume the computer is secure even if the malware appears to have been removed. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired so you can never be sure that you have completely removed a rootkit. The malware may leave so many remnants behind that security tools cannot find them. Tools that claim to be able to remove rootkits cannot guarantee that all traces of it will be removed. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of malware, the best course of action is to wipe the drive clean, reformat and reinstall the OS. Please read:Should you decide not to follow that advice, we will do our best to help clean the computer of any infections but we cannot guarantee it to be trustworthy or that the removal will be successful. Let me know how you wish to proceed.

#8 szlya

szlya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 01:05 PM

ohhh no... :thumbsup: my last choice is to format my pc... but i suppose that's the safest way...

before i do that... however... i will need to backup some files...

now my questions are...

1. are my files (i.e. word, excel, powerpoint, photo, mp3, etc...) in this pc still safe to use?
2. i have an external hard drive (for storage purposes only) connected to this pc... is my external hard drive and its files safe?
3. i have been using a usb drive to transfer files from my laptop to the pc... is this way safe?
4. other than the files that i need... is there anything else i should backup?
5. i have not used my pc for email/banking/etc. after it's infected... should i still assume my accounts being compromised?

thanks a lot!

#9 szlya

szlya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:05 PM

sorry but i have more questions...

this infected pc is connected to the router through wireless... and there's another pc (which the router directly connects with) and 2 laptops (through wireless) share the same network... are they exposed to the threat too?

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:10 PM

Your decision as to what action to take should be made by reading and asking yourself the questions presented in the "When should I re-format?" and What Do I Do? links previously provided. As I already said, in some instances an infection may leave so many remnants behind that security tools cannot find them and your system cannot be completely cleaned, repaired or trusted. Wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS or doing a factory restore with a vendor-specific Recovery Disk or Recovery Partition removes everything and is the safest action but I cannot make that decision for you.

Should you decide to reformat or do a factory restore due to malware infection, you can back up all your important documents, personal data files, photos to a CD or DVD drive, not a flash drive or external hard drive as they may become compromised in the process. The safest practice is not to backup any executable files (*.exe), screensavers (*.scr), autorun (.ini) or script files (.php, .asp, .htm, .html, .xml ) files because they may be infected by malware. Avoid backing up compressed files (.zip, .cab, .rar) that have executable files inside them as some types of malware can penetrate and infect .exe files within compressed files too. Other types of malware may even disguise itself by adding and hiding its extension to the existing extension of file(s) so be sure you look closely at the full file name. Then make sure you scan the backed up data with your anti-virus prior to to copying it back to your hard drive.

If your CD/DVD drive is unusable, another word of caution if you are considering backing up to an external usb hard drive as your only alternative. External drives are more susceptible to infection and can become compromised in the process of backing up data. I'm not saying you should not try using such devices but I want to make you aware of all your options and associated risks so you can make an informed decision if its worth that risk.

Again, do not back up any data with the following file extensions: exe, .scr, .ini, .htm, .html, .php, .asp, .xml, .zip, .rar, .cab as they may be infected.

i have not used my pc for email/banking/etc. after it's infected... should i still assume my accounts being compromised?

Yes. All passwords should be changed immediately. You should consider them to be compromised.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:25 PM

Anytime computers are connected there is always a potential chance one could be responsible for infecting another. If other machines are not experiencing any symptoms of infection, it's good practice to start doing full system scans with your anti-virus and anit-malware tools.

If a router is involved, then disconnect from the Internet and reset your router with a strong logon/password so the malware cannot gain control before connecting again. Many users seldom change the default username/password on the router and are prone to some types of infection. If you're not sure how to do this, refer to the owner's manual for your particular router model. If you do not have a manual, look for one on the vendor's web site which you can download and keep for future reference. Also check the Default Password List.

These are generic instructions for how to reset a router:
  • Unplug or turn off your DSL/cable modem.
  • Locate the router's reset button.
  • Press, and hold, the Reset button down for 30 seconds.
  • Wait for the Power, WLAN and Internet light to turn on (On the router).
  • Plug in or turn on your modem (if it is separate from the router).
  • Open your web browser to see if you have an Internet connection.
  • If you don't have an Internet connection you may need to restart your computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users