Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

user account control keeps turning off

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 trx35

trx35

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:17 PM

Hello,
I have a Dell XPS running windows vista ultimate. A few days ago i picked up a virus, I ran a bunch of anti-virus and anti-malware (malware bite, dr web, smithfraud etc) my machine seems ok but this user account thing is making me nervous. I currently do not have the machine connected to the internet. I need some help in fixing this please.
Thanks
Tom R

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Irvine_himself

Irvine_himself

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:21 AM

Some viruses can be very difficult to analyze. A fairly common feature of sophisticated viral attack is that they play games with your security... Simple things that you can easily check and which are a good indication of infection are:-

Check and see if both the Firewall and the security centre are turned on. Do this in a sneaky way by going to "Control Panel" >> "Administrative Tools" >> Services and scrolling through the list. Both the Security Centre and your Firewall should be marked as automatic start. if they are stopped, start them, (while making them automatic,) and see what happens. Check and see if you can revert to a previous system restore point and create new system restore points. Both of these can be accessed through the Windows Help and Support Centre. (I am much more familiar with Xp than Vista, so you will need to use windows help and support for the exact details anyway.)

The important thing is that in order to evade security, malware has to attack these key systems. There are registry keys you can look at, but if the malware has any kind of sophistication it will create a virtual registry that appears to be clean. So without using specialized tools, us mere humans have to be sneaky and look for inconsistencies.

Your anti-viral scanner, (I use Avast,) should check the MBR, (a common hiding place for these viruses,) check the scan logs to see if the MBR was actually scanned?

If these checks come up positive, then you probably have viral problems, if they don't, you still might have viral problems but personally I would look for other solutions first, for example:- "am I remembering to click 'Apply' after changing the settings?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users