Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant Copy DVD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 22 July 2005 - 11:52 AM

I recently bought a DVD burner for my computer (my Dell Dimension 4600 didnt come with one). I bought it for two reasons: 1. To back up my OS and files to storable media (in case of catastrophic failure), and 2. To burn a bunch of movies my fiance downloaded from Ares (a shareware site).
The movies are all in my hard drive and are viewable and fine, but are now taking up most of my 70 gig hard drive space. I need to get rid of them without creating a DOMESTIC INCIDENT! :thumbsup:
The burner came with Nero Express software. When I try to burn the movies, I get a message that they are copyright protected and cannot be copied. I am now told that to get around this, I have to purchase the $70 Nero ultimate package (or some such) :flowers:
A friend told me about DVD Shrink, freeware which decrypts and condenses DVDs in order to copy them. I have it downloaded but get similar messages about not being able to copy them as before. Maybe Im not doing it right or just cant figure all this out :trumpet:
Anyone out there faced similar problems? Anyone know how I can get these darn DVDs off my hard drive and onto discs where they belong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 22 July 2005 - 02:03 PM

Let me first bring to your attention that this is very illegal and you can be fined, or given jailtime.

There used to be applications that worked for decrypting dvd's but now most of the ones that worked have been shut down by bigger corporations who dont want theyre stuff pirated.

So basically your out of luck.

#3 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 23 July 2005 - 09:26 AM

Illegal or not, Im not trying to copy these for mass marketing, just for my own use. The big corporations and movie studios make enough money off me already!
Anyway you said most decrypting software had been disabled. That means that there must still be some out there. What are they?

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 23 July 2005 - 10:22 AM

We don't encourage or condone discussions concerning copyright infringement at Bleeping Computer.

Ares is not a shareware site, its a P2P program and the movies you downloaded are more than likely copyrighted. Trying to copy them again is a further infringement.