Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Browser is better?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 River2009

River2009

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:39 PM

My computer suffered a sever hack/virus/ IDK! I was using Firefox with CA internet security, anti virus etc. I have a loaner that I'm thinking of keeping but I want to have the safest browser which is best??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bartster

Bartster

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:22 PM

My personal preference is Firefox, but I would suggest using whichever browser you feel comfortable with.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:51 PM

My personal preference is Opera, but I would suggest using whichever browser you feel comfortable with.

Since both are free, try them both and use the one that suits your browsing style.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:22 AM

not sure if opera is the safest but sure is the greatest
the newer 10 version is faster then ever

#5 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:18 AM

Browser choice why you got into problems? You could be customer to the pinned posts at some of these forum sections I think. Right now you have the motivation to evaluate what went wrong, where you or your actions have failed. You are not a victim and browser will not make up for mistakes getting computer infected ;)

But ok, if your problem is not the obvious of playing with known sources of trouble but navigating internet, cant help clicking!, then you might want to consider browser. Find out which browsers this service supports http://www.mywot.com/ Will decrease risk of problems big time. Can be set up to be transparent or not, up to you. Firefox/Chrome/Safari and especially IE8 have build-in filters which blocks certain pages and downloads. So does your antivirus in one way or another but there is not a 100% tool. You can even add OpenDNS filters, more... I dont think Opera has much of this filtering? About the only possible reason to wonder about browser I can think of. Depends a bit on how you look at security. Some will say hmmm, so how easy is it to get infected while running IE8 on Vista, ever heard of limited account?, protected mode? May be so but you can set up many defenses, browser choice should not be about safety really. Not written in stone at least. If you love Opera keep it.

If you go YES about filtering trick then I guess you should read this http://nsslabs.com/browser-security-malware-3Q2009 I get angry just linking but even if highly questionable result it does show IE kind of works with this, heh. Do not forget WOT though - is more effective, regardless of numbers in that "test". Can still use Opera and get similar type of protection but then you must use other tools. Which Im not sure of. Opendns is a start but may be a tool called Hostman. Latest beta version can almost copy WOT with daily updates of hosts files blocking fresh bad domains. Works on all browsers, have nothing to do with them really. Search hostman here and get better info. I just did and can see it is a pet tool of many a moderator :thumbsup: Cool and find more if you like, better Antivirus available for free perhaps?

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:14 AM

Opera and Firefox are both safer that IE.

Safety of a browser is limited by the habits, degree of naivety and general safety awareness of the user.

If user A, uses IE and browses only safe websites then it is likely that he wont be infected.
While user B, who uses Opera or Firefox and browses illegal warez websites, downloads cracked software and just clicks on anything, has more chances of getting infected.

#7 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:06 AM

Well then you did not read the test - or you dont believe result ;) Smart Screen is really good but 80+% ? I dont think so. How can security trained people present such a number? Idiotic and underestimating malware distribution big time. Really a flawed test that one. They dont necessarily lie but sources of test, "pre-testing" or what they call it, were not random that is for sure. Seems like they browsed around looking for executable, dumdidum lets see.. "as they came in" files were researched. From where? and how? They were directed by an invisible hand ;) If test were done against Googles blocklist Firefox would have had 100% hitrate - and the other way around or somewhere in between. Simple logic and manipulation. Paid reviews targeted to be presented on internet with a simplified conclusion are just great...

Opera dont care too much about this I guess so if you are talking about a user who click on everything that moves, the one which blocks the most is also the safest. Remember safe sites also includes Facebook, Twitter, chatrooms - all "social stuff" where you run in to Tinyurl type of links bringing you where? This type of blocking has become more important but sure not all need it. But dont think you avoid just by staying off the obvious sources of trouble. Cant expect general awareness to be proportional with increased complexity of internet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users