Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Regard (not running)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 robertav8

robertav8

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:45 PM

Windows xp

Help

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,565 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:09 PM

Sorry

Can't Help

Don't know what you mean by 'Regard'

what is it?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 robertav8

robertav8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:29 AM

Sorry about that. The correct name of the program is "Recguard", and in the start up programs it shows that Recgaurd is not running.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:21 AM

Just where...do you see these startup programs? Where does this notice that this program/process is not running...where does it appear?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:06 AM

Processlibrary

#6 robertav8

robertav8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:52 PM

I saw this notice in the SYSTEM CONFIGURATION UTILITY in the Star-up tab.

Those this help?

Thanks

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:07 PM

Is this an HP?

If so, type, make and model?

Still under warranty?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:23 PM

Yes :thumbsup:, that helps.

The System Configuration Utility is not to be used to see what startup items exist and are loaded...it doesn't even list all startup items and SFC is designed to be a troubleshooting tool for boot problems, not a startup manager.

Some info on recguard.exe: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/r...d.exe-4419.html AND http://www.justtext.com/processes-tasks/recguard-exe.html.

First thing I suggest...verify that the file is what is described as a valid process. If file location and/or size are different, it could be a malware item. Start/Search will allow you to find the file on your system.

Start/Run...type services.msc and hit Enter. A listing of services should be listed alphabetically on the right screen. Scroll the list, find the service pertaining to this recguard.exe...and post what is reflected for Status and Startup Type.

Louis

#9 robertav8

robertav8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:40 PM

I have a CISNET PC and Recguard.exe is not even supposed to show itself anywhere on my computer, because it's an exclusive program installed on HP computers. I recently (with the help of our support team member) disabled a virus attack on my computer, and so it may explain the reason for its presence. Recguard is not in "SERVICES.MSC" so I take it that this is the shell of a dead virus.

Thank you so much for your help!
Robertav8

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:50 PM

I really do`t have any idea.

As you already said, it is found on HP PCs.

Does your PC have a restore partition. Perhaps a bit of code was borrowed from HP.
Or perhaps as you stated, the shell of a now removed virus that the code was used in an attempt to protect it from deletion.

Edited by ThunderZ, 07 September 2009 - 10:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users