Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TV on your pc & video out to tv...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cpumelter

cpumelter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:10 PM

Basically I want to be able to run the video/audio signal out from my pc to view on the tv. Right now, the two are in separate rooms, 20 ft. apart. I suppose I could run cable, or either move a pc into the tv area. What are my options here; what is the best/least expensive way to go?

I know of websites that provide "tv on your pc", so I guess that is what I am considering doing. Also; How does playing a video work? For example, I can play a vid on my pc with vlc - will that just show up on the tv as a full screen movie?

Are there other ways to do this, instead of controlling everything with the pc & clicking with the mouse? I am not really sure where to start with this.

Open to ideas/options. I need to cut the sat. internet because of the economy, so I am looking for replacement ideas.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:12 PM

Viewing everything that is on your PC screen on your TV is done through a port that your Graphics card has.

This page shows possible combinations of TVout ports on your graphics card and what kind of port you have on your TV : http://www.svideo.com/pctvcables.html
You need a cable accordingly. Once you attach the cable from your graphics card to TV, it should be detected automatically and you should be able see the new screen in your PC's Display Settings. If this doesnt happen then you might have to change settings for auto-detection of TV in your graphics card software.

If you want to use both screens, you would have to drag any program you want to view on TV to left or to right. Or you can deactivate one of the screens and watch everything you play on TV.

For watching full screen on TV, you would need to run VLC in full screen mode.

#3 cpumelter

cpumelter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:50 PM

Thanks for the info., Romeo.

I have a GeForce 7600 GT. It has -

Ports
D-SUB 1
DVI 1
TV-Out HDTV / S-Video Out

I have an older Sony Trinitron TV, 32". I *assume* I will connect the S-Video Out to my TV S- Vid in. That will take care of the video signal. Do I simply connect the output of the audio card to the audio in on the tv for the sound?

Also, does the size of the tv screen have any bearing on the quality of the picture? In other words, are there certain specs. on the vid card to look for in regards to running a certain size tv screen?

This will work, but seems kinda convoluted, controlling the tv with the pc/mouse. Are there "all in one" packages which may use a remote to control the pc?

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:17 PM

Yes, connect "Line Out" of your sound card to "Audio In" of your TV through a good RF cable. You can get cables in market that fork out to from Left and Right "Audio In" cables of TV.

The picture quality will vary depending on:
1. The quality graphics card
2. Type of cable used. HDMI and DVI cables give the best results, S-Video gives optimum result.
3. Quality of cable used. Some cheaper cables have only one wire strand. Some cables don't have outer sheath that prevents electromagnetic interference in signal.
4. Length of cable. Theoretically longer tha cable, lesser the quality. Although it doesnt matter much in practice.

Remote control for PC : http://www.pcremotecontrol.com/

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 03 September 2009 - 01:38 AM

Just bear in mind that if your TV is a CRT (the big kind that have been around forever) instead of an LCD or plasma that the resolution may make things look all fuzzy and hard to read when viewing computer stuff on it.

#6 cpumelter

cpumelter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2009 - 05:56 AM

Just bear in mind that if your TV is a CRT (the big kind that have been around forever) instead of an LCD or plasma that the resolution may make things look all fuzzy and hard to read when viewing computer stuff on it.

Ya, it is a 32" CRT Sony - probably about 15 yrs. old (I know, a dinosaur!)

@ Romeo - Thanks for the link to the pc remote control. Have you guys actually done this? Before I invest any amount of $$$, I am wondering if it is actually worth doing? In other words, will I get good results, or is the video signal going to be "mediocre"? I don't plan on viewing pc stuff on it, as far as text goes really, but I don't want the tv shows/movies to be all fuzzy/pixelated either.

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:00 AM

Before I invest any amount of $$$, I am wondering if it is actually worth doing? In other words, will I get good results, or is the video signal going to be "mediocre"? I don't plan on viewing pc stuff on it, as far as text goes really, but I don't want the tv shows/movies to be all fuzzy/pixelated either.

Movies would play fine on CRT. What Amazing Andrew meant was that you wont be able to read text as you can on PC screen. Movies would be okay quality. Don't expect high definition output from a 15 yr old CRT TV :thumbsup:

Have you guys actually done this?

I had connected my PC to an old CRT TV just for fun. After playing around for a day, disconnected it. Actually the DPI of CRT TV screen is much less than that of a computer screen, so you cannot really use it for working/reading text.

#8 cpumelter

cpumelter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:47 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies. My vid card has 7 pin S vid out, the tv has 4 pin vid in; The radio shack guy said the 4 pin cable will work for what I need, that the extra pins are for composite video - is this correct? I plan on hooking things up later today & testing it all out.

#9 cpumelter

cpumelter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:07 PM

UPDATE! -

I connected 4 pin s vid cable from pc out to tv in today & I have an excellent picture quality. I can see my pc screen on the tv, and can watch youtube videos, but there is where my success seems to end...

When I try to watch any videos using WMP or VLC, all I get is a black box, no picture. I haven't connected my audio cables yet, as I am busy enough testing the video. Can anyone give me any pointers on getting the WMP or VLC videos to play?

#10 cpumelter

cpumelter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 02:17 AM

I found out how to do this. You must set the video options to "Full Screen" in the video card settings under advanced. If you poke around in there you will find the correct setting, as it is a bit different for different graphics cards. Anyway, I am getting full screen with WMP now - I haven't tried a vid. in VLC yet, but I assume it would work as well.

Hope this helps out other folks who may be attempting the same thing!

Actually, I did have another question; I was thinking of picking up a used laptop with s vid out to set close to the tv & use that as my video source/internet connection device, instead of stringing cable for 24' like I am now...

Using a wireless connection from the laptop, will this work out okay? Any streaming/lag issues? Anything else I should be aware of?

EDIT: For the audio out from a laptop - Do I connect to headphone out, or should there be a line out just like on my desktop? Will a headphone out be suitable for the tv audio input?

Edited by cpumelter, 06 September 2009 - 07:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users