Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accessing mails through e-mail clients Vs. web based.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Poll: web interface Vs. email clients (1 member(s) have cast votes)

How do u access web based emails? (Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, etc.)

1. E-mail clients like Outlook, Thunderbird, etc. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Web interface of web based emails. (1 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 finance professional

finance professional

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:21 PM

Dear all,

I have been using web based emails (yahoo, hotmail and gmail) since many years on web itself. I believe most of the people like to configure web based emails into clients like outlook, thunderbird, etc.

Clients are more comfortable, but I guess it also brings mess like maintaining mails, occupying space on your disk, downloading them all again if your system crashes, etc.

Wanted to have views of others on this ...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 04 September 2009 - 05:13 AM

I prefer to use AOL for emails. If I wasn't using AOL, I would just use the email addresses I have through my Comcast account and would not bother with anything like Outlook. I do not even want Outlook on my system.

My AOL emails get backed up on my hard drive on a frequent basis and I backup that up onto extermal drives every now and again.

Edited by Stang777, 04 September 2009 - 05:15 AM.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:18 PM

For many years I didn't have a computer and used web-based e-mail completely. Even after I got a computer, I still used web-mail. Then, there was a huge failure with the server for one of my e-mail accounts. The result was the loss and damage of quite a bit of e-mail including pictures sent by family.

The moral of the story, e-mail clients provide you the flexibility and capability of backing up your e-mail in multiple locations both on and off the computer, and you won't lose it if something goes bad on the server end.

I personally use Thunderbird.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users