Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Satellite 2515CDS Fan

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 22 July 2005 - 10:31 AM

This question has been bothering me for quite some time (since 1998, in fact) but the laptop still works, so it's not urgent.

Ever since my mom got a Toshiba laptop (model number in title), she used it for about 10 hours per day up until 2002, when she gave it to me, and I use it only slightly less. My question is, is the fan supposed to stay off during this entire time?

I know P1 processors don't generate all that much heat, and laptops run hot anyway, but the fan only comes on if the computer is running at 100% processing power for about an hour and a half. I have all the settings I know of (windows and bios) set to cool it as much as possible, but it still gets sking-burningly hot after about 15 minutes.

My neighbor told me that there is another fan inside, and that he heard it come on when he set the bios to max cooling, but I couldn't tell a difference.

As I said before, the laptop still works fine, and I plan to use it for another couple years until I go to college (we use our computers for FOREVER in my house).

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 22 July 2005 - 07:09 PM

Hi Lanscader,

I was told by tech support that the fan should turn on boot up. It may not turn but for a few seconds, but it should "initialize." Can you safely get something to see if the blades will turn manually? Hot hot is that processor running? At ten years, with that use, the fan has lasted quite a while.

I had a Compaq the ran hotter than I liked, but the fan would eventually turn on. Compaq said "That's normal." :thumbsup:

Good luck,

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 Lanscader

Lanscader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 22 July 2005 - 09:31 PM

The blades do turn freely, and the fan comes on eventually. I think my mom was told my a Best Buy employee (or wherever we got the computer) that the fan behavior was normal and laptops are designed to be hotter. I don't know if that is true, or only true of Toshibas.

Also, for 9 out of the 10 years, the fan never came on at all. I guess that's why it lasted so long! :thumbsup:

Edited by Lanscader, 22 July 2005 - 09:32 PM.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

#4 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 23 July 2005 - 12:17 AM

my dads compaq does the exact same, cept leave it for 15 min and it gets skinburningl hot. and all the fans work. :thumbsup: but after it caught countless viruses, he did something with it and havent seen it for 2 months. we got the thing in i think 2k2, 3. i'm not sure. i never liked the thing, never could play my games.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#5 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 24 July 2005 - 10:38 PM

Hi Lanscader

Must be sinking enough heat away not to cause problems. And runs real quiet too! :thumbsup: That's a great laptop to have lasted so long. Toshiba did good.

Take care,

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users